Metal Gear Solid 4, is it really that good?

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
What’s up? Anyway I am a huge fan of the first two metal gears (I never really got a chance to play the third one) and am just about drooling over the forth one. The problem is that I don’t have a ps3, but I am considering buying one if only because of this game (and the blue ray would go great with our new plasma).

So for the people they have it and played it, how good is it? I read some reviews that said it was spectacular.

BTW for those 'use the search buttoners' I did a search and couldn’t find any thread for reviews of it.

thanks

rick_757

Established Member
Ill tell you what man, I didnt have a ps3 either. But ive played all mgs and passed them all multiple times and i really wanted to get 4. So i did.

Is it worth it? **** yeah. Its metal gear, you a get badass gameplay, a movie, and a very good story. Its worth every penny.

92z28

Established Member
I liked it but I think somebody who has not played and beat the first 3 will be like "wtf?" listening to alot of the story line.

Mullet

Established Member
I have to say I think MGS4 is the best game ever made. The graphics are awesome, the game play is awesome, and the sound well I don't think anyone can debate its the best sound ever in a game especially if you have a decent surround sound. If you have a ps3 there pretty much isn't an excuse to not own it, even if you haven't played any of the previous games. You may be somewhat confused on the story but even I was confused at some parts and I've played all the previous games. There is a file called metal gear database on the playstation store that has a time line of everything you could ever want to know about the story of the games if you are that worried about being confused. Well I could go on and on but bottom line is buy it, you won't regret it.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
What’s up? Anyway I am a huge fan of the first two metal gears (I never really got a chance to play the third one) and am just about drooling over the forth one. The problem is that I don’t have a ps3, but I am considering buying one if only because of this game (and the blue ray would go great with our new plasma).

So for the people they have it and played it, how good is it? I read some reviews that said it was spectacular.

BTW for those 'use the search buttoners' I did a search and couldn’t find any thread for reviews of it.

thanks
i am guessing your a fan of metal gear on the PS (not the first two metal gears), but you did not play part 3? and part 3 did not require a new playstation.
if you have not played part 1 or 2 The originals on nes/famicon then i would say play part 3 before 4 to get familiar with the names. If you have played them then part 3 is not so important.

I wouldnt go as far as saying mgs4 is the best game ever made, but its good a little on the easy and short side.

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
I've already played through it twice and I am now on my 3rd time, I am killing people by cutting there throats or one shot head kills.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I've played a lot of video games through to their end, and I cannot recall one that had as good an ending as MSG4 did. You become immersed in the story, especially towards the very end. And what an end that is. You will not regret your purchase.

:rockon:

Mullet

Established Member
i am guessing your a fan of metal gear on the PS (not the first two metal gears), but you did not play part 3? and part 3 did not require a new playstation.
if you have not played part 1 or 2 The originals on nes/famicon then i would say play part 3 before 4 to get familiar with the names. If you have played them then part 3 is not so important.

I wouldnt go as far as saying mgs4 is the best game ever made, but its good a little on the easy and short side.

I'm playing through it again on hard mode and the game is anything but easy. I do agree even the harder of the normal modes was quite easy and you could escape capture with basically no effort. Although it has become almost an entirely different game on the 'easier' of the hard modes, I am spotted constantly and with seemingly never ending reinforcements I can't just shoot my way threw each level. If you have beaten the game already and wanted more of a challenge I recommend you try the easier of the hard modes. I am playing a different style and going different routes than I had in my previous play through and it makes the game almost entirely different. Being able to use all my previous items and weapons from my first play through just makes it that much cooler.

Mayo5

Established Member
I've played a lot of video games through to their end, and I cannot recall one that had as good an ending as MSG4 did. You become immersed in the story, especially towards the very end. And what an end that is. You will not regret your purchase.

:rockon:

ditto. I just finished in at 27 hours. AMAZING.

Can't wait to roll through it on Extreme with no kills.

PDubs

Established Member
Great game. The bundle finally put me over the edge to get the PS3 and I still have yet to buy another game, even though I've beaten this one on the easier levels already. It's always fun to go back and try to get the other awards.

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member

by first and second i mean the ps1 and second as sons of liberty. 3rd (snake eater) one came along i was in college, short on money and time.

Mayo5

Established Member
Great game. The bundle finally put me over the edge to get the PS3 and I still have yet to buy another game, even though I've beaten this one on the easier levels already. It's always fun to go back and try to get the other awards.

Yeah the first time through I beat it on Big Boss Hard, and it took me 31 hours. Now I'm going through on Big Boss Extreme, trying no kills and under 6 hours. HOLY SHIT.

I got the Inchworm, The Giant Panda, The Eagle, The Tarantula, and the Lobster

I took my time playing the game through and searching around. I unlocked 56 guns, had 43 Alert Phases, 7 Continues, and 318 kills.
:rockon::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread