Metal Fab? GMAW

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
Is there a proper way to get started in this hobby? I've read several articles, watched a few videos, watched welds being beaded, but have never had any "trigger time" to speak of.

Is this a skill you can learn, properly by yourself or with minimum instruction as far as basics: wire speed, amperage, proper technique, etc? Or is the best way to learn to take a course? I really don't have the time to enroll in a school of sorts, so I suppose my question is to you shadetree guys throwing beads on the side. My interest is recreational for right now. My own stuff, metal sculptures, repairs, etc.. but also to gain enough skill to make a run at it as a profession or simply another skill I can possess.

Are there any other special tools needed besides leathers, shield, and a grind wheel? any suggestions for a good begginners rig? thanks for any help provided.

yknot

Established Member
Welding in general is a great hobby that many turn into a great money maker. I have welded since I was 13 years of age, and while I have always thought of it as a great hobby, I to have mad plenty of money with the trade. Personally, I simply like the freedom it gives me, i am free to build or construct anything I want, or need. I have built many professional race cars, and Hobby type vehicles. It opens up a whole new arena that allows me to construct what ever I want. As a young man I was always in the BARN, building something. I had a blast and always had others coming to me needing pieces fixed.
As far as How do you break into this hobby......Just DO IT. It's that simple, like anything else, you have to first start to begin. Welding is a subject you can read about and familiarize yourself with all the jargon and equipment, but it is mainly a craft that has to be learned by doing, and you have to put in the time to learn to do it well. I would simply start buy getting yourself a nice little Lincoln MIG welder like the 100-125- or 155 series, they plug into normal house receptacles, and use standard 125V. You might find one used, but honestly I would start with the best machine you can afford, and move up from there if and when that time comes. Visit a steel or materials place, and see if they will sell you some scrape of cut off pieces, so that you can learn cheaper then buying new steel and then simply throwing it away. But, if you have to buy steel new, then thats the way it goes, make the most of what you have and take the welding seriously. To me welding has always been about freedom and expressing yourself, when it becomes a job or boring, then I'll quit or feel differently about it, but so far I have loved each and every pass I've made. I wish you well.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
You can teach yourself to do a lot of things, of course it's easier if you have someone help you along. Sometimes plumber/pipefitter legions will have welding classes, you could also look at taking a night class at a local vocational school. It's really not hard, but it is a skill to say the least. Especially TIG.

Users who are viewing this thread