Message from Afghanistan

KDog

Established Member
[Didn't see this posted yet. Yes, I searched.]

imagine coming home to find a message from your son calling from Afghanistan, only his phone auto-dialed in the middle of a firefight and left the whole thing on your answering machine, abruptly cutting off after you hear "..incoming! RPG!.."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354293,00.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4goOzg0lass"]YouTube - Brother's Firefight[/ame]

Crazy..

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
Prob wasn't a U.S. cell... in Kuwait, some parts of Iraq and some parts of Afghanistan you just buy a SIM card and if you have an unlocked phone, pop it in and you have cell service!

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
my dad had cell service with his ATT phone in Iraq, but it was expenstive...

one bill was over 1500.00!

WHiTE03MACh

Camel Lover
Established Member
Yeh I had AT&T and they told me like .50 per text message and like $2.50/min. Thats why you buy a local SIM if possible. In Iraq our tower had been blown up in 04 and never replaced so I was SOL.... had to use satellite phones...

Sprint doesnt even connect over here :cuss:

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

.:Longhorn Racing:.
Established Member
Nuts... none of our Cell Phones ever worked when we were in Iraq in 03 or 04.

But you could buy a local phone and use it, supposedly. We never tried... our company had 2 Sat Phones.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Damn that is crazy... As a parent that could probably be the worst voicemail possible...

without a doubt, i couldn't finish the message.

teachers hated me when I would defend my beliefs in the classroom, their libby talk would boil my blood and I would fire back. Someone has to stand up in the classroom:mj:

Last edited:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Im not a parent but, that gives me the ebee jebees. I couldnt imagine hearing my child in that situation, knowing that there is nothing that I could do.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
[Didn't see this posted yet. Yes, I searched.]

imagine coming home to find a message from your son calling from Afghanistan, only his phone auto-dialed in the middle of a firefight and left the whole thing on your answering machine, abruptly cutting off after you hear "..incoming! RPG!.."

Crazy..

Kevin, How have ya been man. I see the old board is down know. How you guys holding up on the island. I finally pulled the trigger on that GT500. Talk with ya soon....

KDog

Established Member
Hey BO. Yeah, the old board is down - not enough participation. Club is gone, not sure what everyone's doing now. I know a few have sold their Cobras.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Hey BO. Yeah, the old board is down - not enough participation. Club is gone, not sure what everyone's doing now. I know a few have sold their Cobras.

I did finally pick up the GT500. Was a long time coming. Take care man and keep representing out there...

Users who are viewing this thread