Mess up on strut tower brace torque down. Need HELP

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Had to take it off.
When it was put back I had someone else tight em it beacuse I have a back injury.

I told them to be careful.
Well... They didn't use a trq wrench and tightened them as much as they could.
I know it's supposed to be 26 ft pounds.

The bolts didn't snap but I'm afraid if it's tightened too much they and the mounts could be weakened.

Am I going to need to replace the bolts and mounts even if they don't snap when I take it in to get torqued properly in case they are weakened?

Or am ok if they don't break when they are loosened?
I just don't want any part to fail after.

What all should be checked and what parts need to be replaced if nothing breaks when the adjustment is made?

Thanks

evolve

Established Member
If the mounts are weakened, you can get a metal plate welded into the tower for support. Id take it to a suspension shop and have them look at it. It might be just fine.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've taken my strut tower brace off multiple times and never have used a torque wrench on re-install. I would doubt seriously if it was tightened to the point that it could/would weaken any aspect of the bolt or tower.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
K I'm gonna take it to my friend who's a mech at our Ford dealership and see what he thinks.

He's gonna have to take apart the strut to look at the mount though won't he?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just back them off and torque to spec, one at a time. Inspect each one as you go for any visual signs of damage. You may not be able to see if they have indeed yielded but if everything looks good and feels solid I wouldn't be too concerned about buttoning them up properly this time. If they are ready to go and snap upon removal or retorque there's your sign that replacement is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread