Mercury Cougar

WS.6 Man

Established Member
I remember reading in a old Motor Trend Magazine, think from last year, that Ford was thinking of bringing back the Mercury Cougar based of the upcoming Ford Mustang, a RWD Muscle Car. Any ideas that it will happen or did Ford decide to just go ahead with the stang only?:)

When my dad came to the U.S. from Fiji his first car was a '68 Cougar and he loved it. Also I figured if Ford did bring back a real high performance rear wheel drive Cougar it was not going to be as common as a Mustang. I like driving cars that are not too common, for example right here in the Bay Area I see more Vettes, Mustang GT, V-6 Stangs, & Camaro SS than Trans Ams WS.6 and Terminator Cobra Mustangs.

If Ford does brings back a RWD Mercury Cougar with a SVT Cobra Motor, will any of you have interest to purchase one? :burnout:

Last edited:

Whiskey City

Established Member
I'm like you. I like the rare breed type of car. As a young 16-year old, I drove a '73 Merc Montego MX (351W). Basically the same car as the Torino GT but just different enough. About the same time, My Dad had an '84 Merc Capris RS ('Stang GT). Cool car and before Merc went all bubble-butt rear glass in '86~'87 (I think)

If I were shopping for a new 'Stang and could choose between a Cobra and, let's say, Cougar Eliminator (a-la 1970 428CJ) with everything being equal, I think I'd go with the Merc. Lower production, rarer and if you keep it nice, more value $$$$.

This is, of course, as long as Merc didn't go real creepy with the looks...bubble-butt, huge schnozz, etc.

-Keep your head up and the pedal down!:burnout:

WS.6 Man

Established Member
So far I have heard no more rumors about the Merc Cougar. What I recall was that it was suppose to be released 6 months after the new Stang, guessing as a '06 Model. Guess it won't happen, and I guess Ford Motor Company does not need one, since they sell so many Mustangs.

KLN TME if they do bring back a high performance RWD Cougar guess with a nice design and high performance motor, guess we will be going to our nearest Merc Dealer.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Merc and Lincoln have been toying with 2 seat rwd concept cars a lot lately. The dew-lite platform stretched will also most likely replace the panther in 2 or 3 years as Ford's RWD sedan. If the Hurricane comes to light(its in the works right now) it will become ford's "hemi" for the entire line. Big-block proportions with much lower deck height then the 5.4 with an all new motor that will fit much easier into trucks and cars. With Ford having some cash to invest in motor development, the growth-restrictive modular's days may be numbered.

WS.6 Man

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
Merc and Lincoln have been toying with 2 seat rwd concept cars a lot lately. The dew-lite platform stretched will also most likely replace the panther in 2 or 3 years as Ford's RWD sedan. If the Hurricane comes to light(its in the works right now) it will become ford's "hemi" for the entire line. Big-block proportions with much lower deck height then the 5.4 with an all new motor that will fit much easier into trucks and cars. With Ford having some cash to invest in motor development, the growth-restrictive modular's days may be numbered.

I read in a MT mag couple months ago that they had a concept RWD vert based off the T-Bird. Don't know if they have something for the next cougar yet.

Yes I have also heard that Ford is working on a "Hemi" motor. It will be used for both trucks & cars.:burnout:

Rumors of new muscle cars coming into the market, just have to save up $$ and chose one. Just wish I had a lot of $$$ so I can buy atleast 2 of them.:-D

merc427

Rabble Rouser
Established Member
You guys should check out the August '04 issue of Hot Rod. There's some concept art of what the '07 Cougar could (and should) be. The quick list is:

- no V-6 option, only V-8's
- leather standard (could take it or leave it)
- irs standard (hopefully more durable than the current incarnation
- Eliminator option with a beefed up version of the current Mach 1 engine

Obviously this is just dreaming, but if Ford produced it, I'd be the first in line.

jguerrero

Established Member
that would be awesome. I had a cougar XR7 before my Cobra and loved it. If I could find one with some umphh to it, and some better looks than the last model cougars I would get one as a second car.

thanks for the info, I had no idea

WS.6 Man

Established Member
merc427 thanks for the info. That's what the Cougar should be, V-8 only with nice leather interior. If it has a higher price than the Stangs, about $3k-4K higher I would still pay the higher price. As long as it is loaded with features and has raw power and great handling. Also Ford should do their best to keep the Cougar's design distinct from the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread