Mercedes AMG E55

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Why are they so cheap to pick up?! You can pick up a 2003-2004 for under $30,000.. a supercharged 469hp and mercedes luxurious amenities?! Does anyone know if they have any mechanical problems or recalls i should know about?
I'm thinkin for this price its hard to pass up.. I may have to get rid of a few toys so i can have a better DD..

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I am looking at them...they are a incredible car.

earl lee

Established Member
you are stupid

Well he is right, my mothers friend has one of them benz suv's on her key died, benz wanted $650 to make another key, since they are special keys unique to an individual car.

Either way, if something tears up you will be paying an arm and a leg to fix it. Downside is, its usually something electrical, which is a nightmare on these cars or euro cars in general.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
My Dad had the AMG suv and it was awesome, until he had to have some work done after the warranty ran out. Very expensive to repair but the performance and looks make up for that. If you can afford the car you should be able to afford the repairs too.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
AMG cars have insane depreciation rates. You can go find a CLS55 for less than $50,000 now. Car was around $100,000 brand new just a couple years ago.

Also, there were a few recalls on them, one of them was pretty big. I can't remember exactly off hand what it was but it was an issue that a lot of W211 E55's suffered from.

They're great cars, but the maintenance will kill you if something goes wrong.

Check out MBWorld.org Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Community. Great forum and lots of info.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
As far as maintenance goes they're not too ridiculous.

Repairs are somewhat different depending on what goes wrong.

If you live in or around a major metropolitan city you can find parts distributors who sell OEM parts such as ATE, Bosch, etc at reduced prices.
Many major metropolitan cities also have garages which are owned and operated by former M-B master technicians.

Terminator R

LS1Tech owns SVTP
Established Member
Noone thinks like me?

2005153728723964038_rs.jpg

This?

earl lee

Established Member
Nah, they look good ^^^ and the e55 amg can even dip into the 11's with a healthy 120+ trap speed but repairs are to HEFTY on them.

There is a e55 amg at some dealership for like 24k, it has 76k miles though. I think it was an 05.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
the only thing you need to keep in mind is that even though it might be under 30k it still has the maintainence of a car that is 70k since that was how much it was new.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
There is at least one member on here that has one. Maybe he'll chime in. I'd love to have one but I can't afford it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
They are great cars performance wise and looking wise for a 4 door car.

Traction control + dig = One hell of a launch.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Usually you can find a European mech shop that does good work on Benz's and doesn't charge nearly as much as the dealerships do. Simply by doing your own oil changes and air filter changes will save you tons. I think an E55 would make an awesome DD if you don't have to cover a ton of miles.

Users who are viewing this thread