Men and Women in the Armed Services...???

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
What is your take on the war in Iraq? Do you feel that American soldiers are still needed over there? I'm tired of hearing what politicians think. They're not the ones over there risking their lives, helping a country that just a few years ago was under extreme oppression.

Also, do you believe that we need to be invading other countries for "the war on terrorism?"

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I don't think they're needed over there, but a true soldier does as their told in the interest of defending their country. I think we need to concentrate more on defending our own cities and borders than invading other countries, no matter how justified we are. Taking out all the terrorists that we have has had a huge impact on the strength of terrorist organizations around the world, but where does it stop? If we work on strengthening from within, then we can concentrate on proactivity. Either way, our soldiers deserve a big "Hoorah!" from all U.S. citizens whether or not they believe in the war.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
poopnut2 said:
What is your take on the war in Iraq? Do you feel that American soldiers are still needed over there? I'm tired of hearing what politicians think. They're not the ones over there risking their lives, helping a country that just a few years ago was under extreme oppression.

Also, do you believe that we need to be invading other countries for "the war on terrorism?"
Poop,
The country isn't ready for us to leave. The debate can rage about why we went. it does not change the fact we are there. There are tons of things that just don't get reported. The schools open to all, the growing wealth and infrastructure and for those that cherish it, democracy has a chance. It will be years before we can leave perhaps it will be a permenant base and take Kuwaits place. The strategic value would be revolutionary for the area.

Invading other countries could get us spread to the 4 corners. Every now and then some country deserves an ass whoopin. Like that bully that says if your sister doesn't cross the street when she sees me I'm going to hurt her, you take up for her because the bully would, you don't let her get hurt first.

I hope you haven't started to think terrorism is going away and the state sponsors need to be held accountable, the UN doesn't have the balls.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Hell, we're still in Korea. It looks as though we might eventually have an Airforce base there in Iraq.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
DaleM said:
Poop,
The country isn't ready for us to leave. The debate can rage about why we went. it does not change the fact we are there. There are tons of things that just don't get reported. The schools open to all, the growing wealth and infrastructure and for those that cherish it, democracy has a chance. It will be years before we can leave perhaps it will be a permenant base and take Kuwaits place. The strategic value would be revolutionary for the area.

Invading other countries could get us spread to the 4 corners. Every now and then some country deserves an ass whoopin. Like that bully that says if your sister doesn't cross the street when she sees me I'm going to hurt her, you take up for her because the bully would, you don't let her get hurt first.

I hope you haven't started to think terrorism is going away and the state sponsors need to be held accountable, the UN doesn't have the balls.

I know terrorism isn't going away. I just don't know if our presence over there is going to help reduce it in any way. However, if we leave, Iraqs new government will be overthrown by the end of 06' most likely.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Unfortunately, therein lies the problem. If we stay, more of our boys and girls die. If we leave, everything we worked for will be destroyed.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
poopnut2 said:
I know terrorism isn't going away. I just don't know if our presence over there is going to help reduce it in any way. However, if we leave, Iraqs new government will be overthrown by the end of 06' most likely.
The new gov't WILL replaced but by who? I think our leaving would definitly be followed by chaos.
As far as reducing terrorism:
The terroist have said this is their main effort (in Iraq).
The locals are tiring of the "insurgents" and Foreign fighters (terrorist) and another thing you don't here much of is the Iraqis are turning them in in droves!
We can now kill the terror stalinist by the bucket loads whereas before we could not get access to them except by small special groups and in small numbers.
This will be a history book period for sure, I hope history favors us!

MightyMo

Established Member
I have been stationed at bases in Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Spain, Germany and throughout the US. Was in Africa when the bodies were floating down the river. Why do people do this to their own society's? Africa was pretty bad, it marks the humanity of us. I apply my own thoughts of Africa towards other war torn nations. Nothing was ever as bad as Africa was. Macedonia was bad, but I didn't go there.

The answer is yes, we are needed in the war torn countries. If we leave now those governments could easily fall prey to insurgents. Regardless of what people see on TV, things are slowly getting better, except for Korea.
Korea is just a baby sitting job.. There's crap going on over there between the two Korea's all the time. Its on such a low level, the rest of the world does'nt care.

Infrastructure, education, commerce, government, agriculture are all starting to thrive. Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan just need time. Iran and Syria need an a$$ whooping.

I believe in our missions in those war torn countries. I have seen the happy faces, fed those hungry kids and sent troops directly into combat. I feel I have seen both ends of the spectrum except the one where we pull out too soon.

Missions? Its in your face the second you get there. Commanders make it clear to us what and what not to do and how our actions really are helping the civilian populations around us.

I have personally placed fallen soldiers on aircraft, watched their friends cry on their caskets and helped the wounded off helicopters all bloodied and in pain. The worst are the ones with fixated eyes staring at the sky, almost lifeless but not feeling anything because of all the pain killer they have going through their body because their spine was snapped the day before.

I know all of this sounds kind of crazy, but our mission is actually larger now than when we first launched the attacks of the second desert war (aka the War on Terrorism). To invade and take over an area is relatively easy compared to all that happens afterwards. Our mission has grown and we are slowly succeeding. Getting those countries up and running on their own and capable of defending themselves against terrorism and rogue elements is paramount prior to a successful departure.

In all that we have done and accomplished since the attacks on the trade towers and the Pentagon and all those people that died in planes and our soldiers that have died on foreign soil. If we pull out now, all of their lives would be for nothing.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Just look at all the nations we have successfully invaded and stayed for the long haul:
how are they doing contrast that with the ones we left behind.
I'd love the US to invade my country.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I think we have been over there a little too long, but as a member of the armed forces I obey our Commander in Chief without question or hesitation. No matter who he is.

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
I think we have enough problems here in america that need to be addressed.

but i follow my orders and do as i am told so who knows where i will be sent next.

blackfang

Established Member
I feel we have been over there too long and it is best if we slowly start to pull troops out. Right now the Army is stretched so thin they are desperate for people. They are doing damn near anything they can to attract soldiers and to fill the ranks and keep the deployments down to a minimum.

Right now all you have to do is be the biggest sh!tbird there is and if you pass the apft and shoot, you will graduate the Army's basic training. They are even allowing alcohol and tobacco in basic. They need as many people as they can get so they are making it more enjoyable to attract potential soldiers.

If you think I am joking come to Fort. Leonardwood and look into our policy.;) I had to graduate a kid that stole, couldnt shave, had no discipline, always got caught with sh1t he wasn't supposed to have, could not dress himself and was recycle twice, but since he passed the apft and qualified, he graduated.

personally this is pretty pathetic the Army has become the way they are and the Marines have not even remotely had to stoop anywhere close to this level. The Marines don't have problems with people wanting to be a Marine, but the Army had to rearrange its entire training and policies to make the Army more enjoyable for recruitment.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
DaleM said:
The new gov't WILL replaced but by who? I think our leaving would definitly be followed by chaos.
As far as reducing terrorism:
The terroist have said this is their main effort (in Iraq).
The locals are tiring of the "insurgents" and Foreign fighters (terrorist) and another thing you don't here much of is the Iraqis are turning them in in droves!
We can now kill the terror stalinist by the bucket loads whereas before we could not get access to them except by small special groups and in small numbers.
This will be a history book period for sure, I hope history favors us!

Unfortunately, it appears from early results as if the Shia won or will win most of the elections, the Kurds and Sunnis won some local elections in their hometowns, but not enough to really balance things. This means Iraq will likely become a religious state like Iran.

Last edited:

MightyMo

Established Member
You know the military "checks and balance" will get that Army kid with his discipline problem. Sucks that people like that are allowed to graduate!!

The Air Force is relying heavily on reserve personnel to fill the gaps and have established a series of "rotations" so folks know exactly when their going and coming back many months in advance of that rotation. I have been to the desert five times, each time a 4 month tour. Its not bad and I always save a nice chunk of change. Each time was to a different location. The variety is there and the missions were pretty cool. The Army does have the best food!! Air Force has better living conditions at some places.
If the Army, Marines and Navy can get away from the long deployments. That would help a lot. I have met a lot of Marines and Army and thats the kind of feedback they have given me.
We are pulling 3,000 troops out of Afghanistan soon and its because the mission is getting better over there.
I too wish we could pull a lot folks out of those hostile places. Time will tell..

Last edited:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
I'm not in the military, but I work for them as a defense contractor.

Been doing this as a soldier or contractor for 23 years....and in Iraq since 4 June, 2004. Al Asad, Fallujah, Ramadi, Mosul, Babylon....putting in Army commo systems & supporting UAV recon with the Marines.
Shot at, mortared, and rocketed, too.

I live on Victory Base, next to Camp Liberty in Baghdad. It is next to the International Airport and overrun with people who needed to take their ass home last week, or even earlier. :poke:
I call Victory "Fat City"...BK, Subway, Pizza Hut, and the free Baskin-Robbins ice cream in the chow halls.
For the most part, I'm talking about the Army. They are "tail-heavy" with people who can go home. They aren't providing combat support or contributing to body counts as the Marines are doing.

Hoping really by the middle of 2006 at least 25%-30% of these people can go home, more or less when the Iraqi military can stand on 2 feet.

venomboysvt

Established Member
I think what we did over there was good.....The invasion was nessacary, but I think we have been over there just a little bit too long.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
blackfang said:
I feel we have been over there too long and it is best if we slowly start to pull troops out. Right now the Army is stretched so thin they are desperate for people. They are doing damn near anything they can to attract soldiers and to fill the ranks and keep the deployments down to a minimum.

Right now all you have to do is be the biggest sh!tbird there is and if you pass the apft and shoot, you will graduate the Army's basic training. They are even allowing alcohol and tobacco in basic. They need as many people as they can get so they are making it more enjoyable to attract potential soldiers.

If you think I am joking come to Fort. Leonardwood and look into our policy.;) I had to graduate a kid that stole, couldnt shave, had no discipline, always got caught with sh1t he wasn't supposed to have, could not dress himself and was recycle twice, but since he passed the apft and qualified, he graduated.

personally this is pretty pathetic the Army has become the way they are and the Marines have not even remotely had to stoop anywhere close to this level. The Marines don't have problems with people wanting to be a Marine, but the Army had to rearrange its entire training and policies to make the Army more enjoyable for recruitment.

The most recent issue of the Marine Corps Times has an article where the Army is soliciting Marines to move over to them. They are offering up to $20K bonuses, you get to keep your rank, and you get to pick your job. That is a pretty sweet deal, but that would be a definate downgrade to go from the Marines to the Army. Especially if what you say is true about the Army totally losing what little discipline it had and lowering it's standards so low.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I think that it is time for our brothers and sisters to come home, but if the "man" wants us over there then it is our job to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread