Meet Mother

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We know it's Mothers day, and we are going to go pick up Mother. She's in Rochester NY. She's gray but still young at hart. She'll be welcome in our family and well taken care of. I feel bed, because she'll have to spend the night outside on the trailer. The weather is nice, so she'll be fine. Pics coming soon.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It took a lot long to pick her up. We were like kids in a candy store. Bought all kinds of cool stuff. Meet Mother, our new shop machine. Horizontal mill.
20220508_103555.jpeg
20220508_141334.jpeg
20220508_141318.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
That’s way cool. I took a 6mo crash course machining class thru my apprenticeship and I loved working the mill and lathes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
That’s way cool. I took a 6mo crash course machining class thru my apprenticeship and I loved working the mill and lathes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bought this more for my son. Start from the basics and add on. This machine was owned by a retired fellow and is as new as I could find after looking for almost a year. Power feed will be the first mod. Wife was cool enough to let us go on Mother's Day to pick up. Hence the name.

Had a lot of fun coming up with the name. Sentences like:

Mother and I made this.
Go clean mother
Mothers smoke'n
Mother needs adjustment
Mother needs some lube

5.2Leader

Established Member
Where’s the horizontal mill? Did I miss a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Bought this more for my son. Start from the basics and add on. This machine was owned by a retired fellow and is as new as I could find after looking for almost a year. Power feed will be the first mod. Wife was cool enough to let us go on Mother's Day to pick up. Hence the name.

Had a lot of fun coming up with the name. Sentences like:

Mother and I made this.
Go clean mother
Mothers smoke'n
Mother needs adjustment
Mother needs some lube
Mother needs some lube.

Son: "Sounds like a job for you, Dad."

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Mother made it home and placed in the shop. What a heavy bitch, just over 2000 pounds. This thing is like a car barn find. It sat for 15 years and had a dried oil film everywhere. Started cleaning table and components. We installed the power feed and started her up. Everything runs smoothly. My son jumped right in experimenting after some instruction. This thing is going to eat up some mod money, but it's worth it already.
20220514_185115.jpeg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
If it sat that long, the lube lines are probably gummed up. I'd blow those out and check your lube restrictors.

Your government is lying to you

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If it sat that long, the lube lines are probably gummed up. I'd blow those out and check your lube restrictors.

That's exactly what I was concerned about. The lines are so small and some one those bends are tight. The oiler line schematic looks like spaghetti. I would like to flush with something kroil or Kerosene. I'll crack open one line and see how it looks. Thanks

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Let me know if you need any lines or fittings.

Hey Thanks! Your comment nudged me this morning to go at the oil lines early this morning. I sprayed all the exposed ways down with Areokroil and tried to loosen the fittings. As I tried to turn it appeared the line was torquing and stuck. I sprayed all the fittings and left the shop for a couple hours. When I started back all the fittings broke loose easily. The first one I took apart clean oil came out, so that was a good sign. I went ahead and removed the oil distributor and pump along with a few connecting lines. Started at the pump, after cleaning and adding oil I pumped and nothing came out. I figured it might have to prime, then pow! Oil shot 14ft. I reassembled the lines with flow regulators and everything appeared free flowing and clean. Checking out those regulators I could see the small holes that restrict the flow. I could see light through them. I put it all back on and pumped about 5 times. Oil leaked out of all the ways. I made a mess but that confirmed success! It's good to get that done. Thanks again for your offer, I've never worked on lines that small and could see things going bad with little effort!
20220515_131511.jpeg
20220515_140934.jpeg
20220515_185956.jpeg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of the giant ass lathe I helped pick up for my wifes uncle.

Big, heavy, looks like something from the 50s, probably still be running and used by robots after they've enslaved us in a few hundred years.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Thanks! Your comment nudged me this morning to go at the oil lines early this morning. I sprayed all the exposed ways down with Areokroil and tried to loosen the fittings. As I tried to turn it appeared the line was torquing and stuck. I sprayed all the fittings and left the shop for a couple hours. When I started back all the fittings broke loose easily. The first one I took apart clean oil came out, so that was a good sign. I went ahead and removed the oil distributor and pump along with a few connecting lines. Started at the pump, after cleaning and adding oil I pumped and nothing came out. I figured it might have to prime, then pow! Oil shot 14ft. I reassembled the lines with flow regulators and everything appeared free flowing and clean. Checking out those regulators I could see the small holes that restrict the flow. I could see light through them. I put it all back on and pumped about 5 times. Oil leaked out of all the ways. I made a mess but that confirmed success! It's good to get that done. Thanks again for your offer, I've never worked on lines that small and could see things going bad with little effort!View attachment 1748670View attachment 1748671View attachment 1748672

Good job, but you shouldn't see light through those restrictors. If you can see light, it means they're stuck open. They are meant to open briefly when the right pressure is applied. If replace them. I might have some if I knew the thread you're using.

The other thing you can try is soaking them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread