Mechman billet 240amp alternator

SVT_Troy

Established Member
- Mechman billet 240amp alternator $325 shipped plus PP fees

Comes with the upgraded 3rd wire (taps into a 12v source) ready to plug in so you don’t get a flickering battery light. It has plenty of wire to route it through the brake booster firewall grommet to the under dash fuse block via add-a-fuse.

Everything is included, no cutting or splicing of wires needed!

It made 13+ volts crossing the traps and almost 14v at idle. Never skipped a beat. Only reason why I’m selling is I’m going with a 4lb lower and I don’t want to risk over spinning the Mechman with the current sized pulley installed. it was sent back to Mechman in 2017 as you can read from the receipt. They re-cased it to the current billet case and upgraded the inside components. It has less than 2k miles on it since rebuild.

Image1547683099.208774.jpg

Image1547683108.064155.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Make an offer, I know someone that’s running a stock sized lower pulley needs a rock solid alternator!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Would this alternator be rock solid if I put the pulley on it that matches the 4lbs lower?

If you put a pulley a larger pulley (3.2” I believe) it would be good.
I originally had a different sized pulley on because I was going to go to a 4lb lower. I changed my mind on the 4lb lower and had mechman swap it out to a stock size. I called them recently and they told me they don’t have any other pulleys to sell me so I removed the mechman for a unit that I could use right now. They led me to believe I couldn’t get a new larger pulley but that doesn’t make sense to me.

carguy96

Established Member
Can you not just swap the pulley on this to a larger diameter one, therefore spinning it less with the larger lower pulley?

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Can you not jut swap the pulley on this to a larger diameter one, therefore spinning it less with the larger lower pulley?

You can swap them out. At the time Mechman didn’t have the pulley that I needed and didn’t know when they would get them in. My patience ran out so I ordered a J2fab.

Someone posted in my forsale thread on Fb that Mechman now has pulleys in stock. I haven’t called to verify though.

carguy96

Established Member
You can swap them out. At the time Mechman didn’t have the pulley that I needed and didn’t know when they would get them in. My patience ran out so I ordered a J2fab.

Someone posted in my forsale thread on Fb that Mechman now has pulleys in stock. I haven’t called to verify though.

So a Metco 3.0-3.2 Pulley won’t fit on a Mechman Alternator?

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
Not to hijack but when I ordered my mechman last year they told me I shouldn’t have any issue running my 3.0/4lb with what I believe is a 2.6” alternator pulley they put on (said they only had one that goes on our alternators and that based on rpm I wouldn’t be over spinning it). I personally haven’t had any issues.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Not to hijack but when I ordered my mechman last year they told me I shouldn’t have any issue running my 3.0/4lb with what I believe is a 2.6” alternator pulley they put on (said they only had one that goes on our alternators and that based on rpm I wouldn’t be over spinning it). I personally haven’t had any issues.

Their alternators are tough but I believe you are over spinning it with that combo. What did you tell them your shift rpm was? I'm assuming no more than 6800rpm? I told them 7200rpm which accounts for passing my optimum shift point. I rather play it safe than sorry. Mechman confirmed that I should run no smaller than a 3.0. Closer to a 3.1-3.2" pulley. I rather remove it and sell it with 100% confidence that its ready to rip versus possibly over spinning it finding out that it wasnt performing then sell it.

In hind-site I should have waited until Mechman had larger pulleys in stock and just swapped the pulley. I'm planning on the new J2fab piece performing as advertised but I'm seriously considering keeping the Mechman as a spare since its been awesome.

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
I told them 6500 since I’m still stock engine and that’s redline. I normally shift around 6300 but I figured in redline for worst case scenario. I’m wanting to say mechman told me I would be around 21-22k alternator rpm and theirs is rated for 24k or something? I could be wrong but they didn’t hesitate saying I would be fine with my combo. I agree though on not running it on the edge if you don’t have to.

Users who are viewing this thread