Mechanics near/around Bethesda, MD? Need a second shop when Wiseguy is full.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Hey guys, i was just wondering if there were any good reputable cobra mechanics near or around bethesda? I've been taking my car to Bill since i first got it in 2008 and literally nobody except him has worked on the car (minus brake pads and midpipe swaps). However it can be a little difficult to get in contact with Bill, and sometimes its hard to get dates set in stone of when to get work done. My serpentine belt is squeaking and it sounds like a bearing is starting to go. I really do NOT want to just take it to a random shop who doesn't know these cars too well, and hate the thought of not having Bill do the work since he is so damn good and affordable, but I would like to get this fixed while there is still good driving weather left. I honestly don't want to go elsewhere but i feel like i don't have a choice. :shrug:

Any input would be great!

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Advice? Wait for Billy to have time to help you out........

How many miles do you have on your current belt?

Ya, to be honest I always end up waiting for him and most likely will this time around. It's just so hard to trust anyone else, especially since its not stock. I just dont trust them to know the cobra/set up specific details like Bill does.

Not many, If I had to guess maybe about 2-3000? We did some pulley swaps a few months back so now I have the green belt. Started out with a stage 6 port with a 2.73 upper, then we did the lower and switch back to a 2.93 (i think) which is when i got a new belt. Was around the beginning of the year. Stupidly my buddy convinced me to spray it with wd-40 before I did my homework and found out that it can be caustic to belts, so I'm probably going to need a new one anyway.

I did some forum homework and it seems like its either a bearing, pulleys aren't flush, or the belt is just slightly too big. It's getting worse though, and sounds more mechanical than anything.

Wiseguy

Established Member
I have two healthy, wonderful, but premature twins at home. Just got them from the NICU-Hospital. Lots of stuff to keep up on... I have a lot of people waiting(thank you all) and projects delayed a bit. Brian, your car sits outside... and water getting on your belt doesn't help. I'm sure its a belt and wd-40 would make it worst..

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
How are you and Robin even keeping awake?
Congrats again.

ecMdApBBi.png

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
that's your curse for spending more time at the shop all these years. lol now you'll be home....
maybe if you opened up your own shop ?

Wiseguy

Established Member
Haha, new wife...new life.. Its been a good arrangement so far... but a location change has been in the works so I can do more and have more room. Hope all is well Damian.

that's your curse for spending more time at the shop all these years. lol now you'll be home....
maybe if you opened up your own shop ?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So happy for you Billy! Twins are the bomb! Ask me how I know...... Hope the little ladies and momma are all doing well.

Brian, you can get a new belt from RockAuto for $25.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
TRBO VNM is MACA's other resident Cobra mechanic. He's down in southern MD.

Users who are viewing this thread