mechanical help if possible (?)

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
Dont know where to post this, and you guys now your shit so i figured id try here. I was on my way from dropping my sister off at work today, and i felt a vibration through the pedals. I turned the music off and it kind sounded like a zipper being pulled up pretty quickly. I slowed down and so did the noise, i thought maybe a mudflap was caught in a tire or something... but then i realized it kinda sounds metallic... so i got scared and babied it the rest of the way home, and my guess is something in the differential (?) i have no idea because ive never heard this before, and its coming from in front of the car... it only makes the noise when im moving, and the slower im going, the slower the noise is... does anyone have any ideas on what it might be? thanks in advance,
Cody

edit: its most noticeable when speeding up and slowing down, its not so loud when im just coasting.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
It's difficult for me to say, but I'd suggest that you attempt to determine whether the noise is dependent on engine RPM's or on road speed. For instance, does it occur just as intensly while reving at 3000 RPM's in first gear as it does in 4th gear? Knowing the answers to that might help to diagnose the problem for you or for a garage or dealer.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
Which pedal did you feel the vibe through?

CAn you still feel it?
i felt it through the gas pedal, i think... let me go check to see which pedal, and if its rpm dependant, or speed dependant.. wish me luck it doesnt die :(

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i felt it through the gas pedal, it seems to die down when turning left, it happens in neutral when i came in my drive way and coasted in, most prominent when accelerating, not so noticable when just cruising. : (

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
Originally posted by bbp42d
bad rotor:shrug:
you mean like my brakes rotor? because it has been vibrating when stopping for the past couple months... oh god that would be great if it was that..

i8u

Established Member
I would check your left front wheel bearing. When you turn left most of the load is on your right front bearing and vice versa. Does it get worse when you make a right turn?

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
If it is your corrola check your cv joint also. Most likely your outer drivers side joint.....

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I would think that if it was a bad brake rotor, then you would be feeling it in the brake pedal. But I'd check to see if it can be felt through the pedals while you're reving the motor while at a standstill with the shifter in nuetral. if it does it then, it's definately something with the drivetrain itself, and not the wheel bearings or brakes.

Last edited:

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
it doesnt happen when im in neutral revving, only when moving. It is the corolla, how would i go about checking the wheel bearing and cv joint. I have the haynes manual, but i dont know what id be looking for. Do i put the front on jacks or something??

i8u

Established Member
You probably won't find any play in the wheel bearing. You would actually need to remove it and make a visual inspection. Is the dust boot torn around the cv joint?

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
its dark out now, but ill go out with a flashlight and check... anything else i should look for?

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
the dust boot is fine... The worn down brake pad is different, my moms jetta had that, it was scratching the rotor, i dont know if a bad rotor would sound different, but i know the sound of over worn brake pads and this isnt it :( it sounds like a gear is jumping on another one, like if you have a spinning gear, and you tryin to lower a non spinning gear onto it, and it jumps up, then gravity brings it back down, and it happens again, its only when im moving though so i dont think its my transmission. could it be one side of my differential? like if one tires gear isnt in place? (sorry, im trying to learn about this, but im still new to it)

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
a better description, pretend you're driving, and you arent touching the clutch, and you try to bring it into first. It makes that sound, not as loud, only its constant, speeds up when i speed up, not related to rpm. Its an auto, and it does it when im in neutral and still moving. But its worst when im accelerating. =\

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by c0dy
a better description, pretend you're driving, and you arent touching the clutch, and you try to bring it into first. It makes that sound, not as loud, only its constant, speeds up when i speed up, not related to rpm. Its an auto, and it does it when im in neutral and still moving. But its worst when im accelerating. =\
my guess is the rotor or pads, also a strut could be the culprit as well. jack it up and tear her down. also as in the above post, bearings could be gone as well....

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
im gonna replace the pads when my mom gets home from work, it honestly could be the brakes with something sounding like that?? also, i noticed that while i do feel it through the gas pedal, i feel it through the brake pedal and more noticably the dead pedal.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
I have the answer

Vehicle: 96 Corolla.

Sorry man I had to. There are several things that come to mind. If liek you said it vibrates when you hit the brakes it is a warped rotor. If it does it when you turn and hit the gas it is a busted axle

Users who are viewing this thread