Measured Cyl head weights

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Stock E7TE = 49.6LBs
AFR 165 Renegades = 28.3LBs
Both heads weighed w/valves, springs, seals, & retainers on a accurate and repeatable digital scale.
(42.6LB savings from the heads alone)

Stock%2520E7TE_49.6LBS.JPG

AFR165_Renegade_28.4LBS.JPG

AFR165_Renegade_28.2LBS-b.JPG

AFR165_Renegade-D.JPG

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I've "heard" numbers from 50 to 100lbs. Well.. fact is its 43lbs.
Once this cold weather breaks I'll post up weights of stock vs aftermarket intake parts and headers too.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
My budget this winter is limited because I'm doing the tranny too. So for now I'm going to just re-ring and bearing the stock short block w/a custom FTI cam.
Although.. I need to disassemble the engine and make sure the stock bores are good enough.

DSC04479.JPG

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
More weights:

Stock lower intake = 16.4LBS
Professional Products lower ported by Matt Moss = 18.0
Stock upper intake w/BBK 70mm TB & spacer = 24.2LBS
Professional Products upper w/Prof Prod 70mm TB & spacer = 19.8LBS
Stock valve covers = 7.2
Ford racing valve covers = 6
Stock flywheel, PP, Clutch = 42.8
Stock headers = 10.8
SS shorties = 13.6

fwaZVn11OhVgepf3b4voUL6B7NC-zZpfXD1U7mCz1Vw=w677-h508-no

Stock_Upr_24.2LBS.JPG

Prof-Prod_Moss_Ported_Lwr_18LBS.JPG

Prof-Prod_Upr_19.8LBS.JPG

PP_Flywheel_Clutch.JPG

Stock_Headers.JPG

SS_Headers.JPG

All_Weights.JPG

Whistler98

Established Member
cool. I was hoping you were doing them on a stock motor. I would like to see what they would do on a motor similar to mine.

drkmrkiv

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Very insightful. Aluminum heads really do shave off quite a bit.

I'm curious to find out if one were to do full aftermarket (lightweight) suspension components, lightweight K-member, aluminum heads, and whatever else (within reasonable price range) and how much weight they would reduce off the front end. I won't say aluminum block as that cost way too much for roughly 70 lbs. I'm guessing 150lbs easy.

wheelhopper

Established Member
When I did a clutch swap I put in an aluminum flywheel, I weighed it for you engineer types, and saved 17lbs. That combined with an aluminum driveshaft is a big reduction in rotating mass.

drkmrkiv

Established Member
When I did a clutch swap I put in an aluminum flywheel, I weighed it for you engineer types, and saved 17lbs. That combined with an aluminum driveshaft is a big reduction in rotating mass.

Did you save 17 lbs with just the flywheel? Or did you save 17lbs by swapping both flywheel and driveshaft.

I've always been big in weight reduction. Not really gutting, but when a part breaks on my car I like using a lighter component. Even if lighter parts are typically more money, I feel like it's worth it.

I've also been looking at getting rear gear set lightened. I've read you can shave 4 lbs when lightening a 4.10 gear for example.

Users who are viewing this thread