Mcleod Twin Disk installed (happy and not)

wildaries83

Established Member
Ok so I just got the twin disk put into the car. I completely hate how my car shifts and have had tranny issues since day one. So my last step before a whole new transmission. With the instal shifting between 1-2 2-3 3-4 is incredible. It is actually like driving an automatic. No jerks or anything. The pedal is very weird as it is incredibly light. Not so used to that. The engagement is near the brake pedal which I am also not used to. However, I am having a huge problem. RPM range of about 1300-1700 there is a very loud noise. It almost sounds like 2 metal discs rubbing together. Or like your head is right next to the filter of the intake. Very loud, i can hear it over my exhaust and radio. Any ideas?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
doesnt sound right. Not very experienced with twin disk clutches though. Im sure someone will know whats going on. I know my buddy with an 04 cobra had the same clutch and it made 0 noise. Also have another friend with a whipple 03 cobra with the same clutch as well, also no noise.

wildaries83

Established Member
Also forgot to mention, I was driving the car last night, got about 10 minutes into the drive, the shifter area (around the shift boot) on the plastic and medal stripping was getting quite hot. It seems there is extensive heat eminating from under the shifter now as well.

Marc

Established Member
No chattering one mine, I have the McCleod RXT twin disk with the lightened steel flywheel. Although, mine releases up top as well, was hard to get used to that.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Also forgot to mention, I was driving the car last night, got about 10 minutes into the drive, the shifter area (around the shift boot) on the plastic and medal stripping was getting quite hot. It seems there is extensive heat eminating from under the shifter now as well.

All this points to something not being installed properly IMO. I would not drive it untill you find out more definitivly what is wrong with it. Mine does not get hot or even warm for that matter. This may me a stupid question but its so obvious that it could be overlooked...Does the trans have oil in it? Is it low on oil? Is there a dust shield on these bell housings you can take off to inspect the clutch assembly? That is where I would start. Good Luck sir:beer:

wildaries83

Established Member
I have not checked the fluid, but it was just done in December, I could recheck that is for sure. I definitely need to pull it apart see if the internal shift boot is still there as well. I did not do the install on the clutch nor would I even attempt it incase something like this happened. It is the RST with aluminum flywheel. Something just is not right, kinda depressing. Is it also normal for there to be little pull when letting out the clutch till the brake pedal area?

wildaries83

Established Member
So I decided to do a simple quick check. Shifter dust boot is not there anymore lol. This could be the heat and possibly eliminate about 3/4 the noise I am hearing. Now just gotta get ahold of that boot!

Users who are viewing this thread