McLeod Street Extreme Clutch or just get the RST???

GrabUblue

Established Member
Good decision! I retract my statement about the street extreme, it through in the towel last night in Mexico. :(

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I had a Mcloud twin in my previous Mustang and it was heavy and to be honest a real PITA to drive on the street

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
The Steeda clutch spring is a must with the RST. I hated the RST until I put the Steeda in.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
With the Mangum XL the RXT felt easier than stock. I will do that clutch if i ever have to replace one.

GrabUblue

Established Member
I have the rst in my boss. The street ext is in a Paxton gt. Well was in there lol pieces now.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Just started breaking in the RXT in my Boss this week. It slips just fine and drives like stock. Pedal is lighter, though... I have the Steeda spring but haven't put it in yet.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I have the rst in my boss. The street ext is in a Paxton gt. Well was in there lol pieces now.

Nice collection! I just bought a '92 5.0 notch. All original. 50,000 km's (original clutch lol).

Can't wait to get this clutch in my car. I bought the CJ to rev the shit out of it. Stock clutch is rev blocking me!!!

Smurfzilla

Established Member
Purchased. RST, Mcleod steel fw, arp bolts, stainless line, Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft. $2200 cdn later. Gulp. I picked up the Barton and the Blowfish for $275 cdn, so that offsets the cost a bit. I guess lol. I know it will be worth it.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
Gotta pay to play lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yeah you do lol. Your input helped with my decision, as you have had experience with both clutches. Thanks for doing the leg work!

I'm going to take it to the track as soon as the break in period is over. I'm hoping to be able to dump the clutch at 4k and hook with this clutch and a set of et streets. I'm assuming power shifting will be a breeze with this set up. Can't wait. With the addition of the aluminum drive shaft, only thing I'm worried about potentially hurting is the 8.8. I'll worry about that when/if the time comes.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I think it will be ok. I had mine at the track recently and had no shifting or clutch related issues. My mt82 has almost 85k on it too and I've had had the car at the track 3 times since I've owned it.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I think it will be ok. I had mine at the track recently and had no shifting or clutch related issues. My mt82 has almost 85k on it too and I've had had the car at the track 3 times since I've owned it.

From my research, it seems as though the factory clutch is the real weak point of the mt82. I can promise you, if I continue to drive my car hard with the stock set up, I would end up hurting the trans. I feel my trans is a very healthy one (about 18,000 miles on the car) and I hope to keep it that way. If I still end up having issues with this set up, I'll end up swapping in a Magnum xl and some 4.10's. I have 3.55's and with the short gears in the mt82, I'm trapping in 4th at roughly 7600-7800 rpm. Perfect. IMO, the 3.55's are perfect for the cj with stock height tires. With the stock intake, I'd be shifting into 5th for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread