McLeod RXT Install Woes - Actual Viper Trans Found!!

5PointOHNO

Established Member
‎I am at a loss. After RXT install, the transmission is making a horrible sound whole driving, it is a loud vibration and 'rubbing sound.'

Here's is where I think it went sideways. ‎

So I was installing an RXT clutch yesterday. I knew the car had a viper spec transmission, but I didn't know it actually had the viper transmission itself! * There was about a 1-1.5" adapter plate which made the front cover section and bell housing from the Cobra work. It also has a welded bung for the pivot ball. I doubt that the height of this bung aligns with the stock Cobra T56 pivot.*‎

Needless to say, my install went terribly wrong.‎
‎The throwout bearing retainer tube I purchased was for a Cobra, obviously. It is the McLeod 4340 tube. I believe this is 4.3 inches long. This turns out*‎to be way to short for transmission, as I suspect the adapter plate creates additional length requirements for the TOB retainer sleeve. *

So just use the stock one, right? Well unfortunately the stock pièce was worn at the base and wouldn't press fit into the front cover. It was essentially free playing in there. Brutal.*

The 'solution' was to add more material to the base along with some silicon for sealing purposes. It then seemed to press in ok, but it hindsight, that extra material might have caused it to press-in somewhat crooked. Who knows. *With the transmission on the ground, the input shaft spun freely. At 2500 rpm though, I don't know if that would hold true. ‎

Anyways, reinstall it all, get the clutch engagement set using the adjustable cable and I drive it around the block. Then that awful sound. *‎

Is it possible that the vibration and noise is caused by the sleeve being somewhat crooked? Has anyone else had a similar surprise when they dropped their Trans? ‎

I didn't know people actually took the physical viper transmission and rigged it to a Cobra. *

Help!‎

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I run a viper spec t56 from a gen 2 viper in my truck. I used a terminator bell housing so it bolts right up and nothing needed to be shimmed. It may be something you can look into doing. That way there's no adapter or spacer needed.

mp23

Established Member
man that's a tough one, could you just put the correct input shaft and bearing retainer in it or is it to modded up to get back to cobra spec length?

5PointOHNO

Established Member
man that's a tough one, could you just put the correct input shaft and bearing retainer in it or is it to modded up to get back to cobra spec length?

It appears to be a unique sleeve - Unsure on it's origins, but I do know that this is one of the original D&D Viper conversion kits.

Out of desperation and hope, I ripped apart an SN95 T5 Input Bearing Retainer (TOB Sleeve), pressed it out of it's 4-bolt housing, and learned that it is exactly the same in terms of the base size and circumference. This was COMPLETELY a hail mary and I cannot believe it lined up! This appears to be a perfect fit, and I am thinking this might be the solution to the vibration.

So I ordered a new version of this same piece, it was OE on 1994-1995 5.0's, and 1999-2004 V6 5Spd cars (T5 Transmissions)- Ford # M-7050-B

It will arrive tomorrow morning... hopefully know in the very near future if this was the problem or not.

5PointOHNO

Established Member
Did it work? im a little skeptical that the housing was bent but I guess anything is possible.

Update: it's WORKING!

Unfortunately for me, part# M-7050-B wasn't the solution. A stock SN95 T5 input bearing retainer was the solution. I just had to press-out the sleeve portion from the housing. NOTE: if you order this part new, it will be a 1-piece assembly, you would need to have a 2 piece housing where you can press the sleeve out of for this to work.

or, wait for D&D to make some more (I hear they are!).

Anyways, old T5 sleeve installed, and it works great.

Also, the source of the issue wasn't the sleeve, although it certainly contributed. The issue was the cluster gear bearing had gone south, specifically the race. A new bearing was tapped on and it's as good as new.

There was some scoring on the housing, but very minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread