McLeod RXT floater plate failure?

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey guys!

Finally wrapped up my car and got everything running great, and got a great tune from 04Sleeper!

My builder brought the car to his track rental, so we ran it a couple of times with great success!

About the 3rd run of the day after around an hour of cool down between each run, I ran the car again and everything seemed to be going great.

Well, upon hitting 4th in this final run, I felt a giant "CLUNK" and the car felt like I bottomed out on a giant rock or something. After this occurred I could no longer get the car to engage in any gear. My first thought was that I did something to the tranny (T-56 Magnum), but everything seemed okay when rowing the shifter.

Fast forward a couple days later when we were able to get the tranny pulled to see what happened, this was the carnage:

7u8e4y3a.jpg

2avunasy.jpg

jy3ugy9u.jpg

We went ahead and sent the clutch to McLeod to get looked at for warranty purposes and they said a $600 rebuild would be in order after saying that the clutch would be replaced if they found the failure was related to the material/workmanship.

My question is, what could have caused this? To me it appears that the floater plate had one/all of the tabs fold under the force, but I don't think this car is making enough power to do this to a clutch that is advertised to withstand 1000+hp.

Before it is asked, the clutch was not a fresh install, but installed prior to the latest rebuild. I did put the recommended 500+ break-in miles on it, and I never had issues with it slipping or chattering whatsoever. Even in tuning (on the street) the clutch felt absolutely great. Also the clutch did have the proper pivot ball length.

If you look at the clutch pads they had PLENTY of life in them prior to those tabs breaking off and bouncing around in the bell housing destroying everything in their path including the bell housing (another 600+ bucks that I'll now be out) as seen in pic 3. Really disappointed in this setup right now as I bought it from Lethal under the impression that it was THE best clutch available for our cars.

On Monday an engineer is supposed to call us and I'll be very interested in what they have to say.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Make sure you go with the McLeod quick time bellhousing. I have one and it's an awesome piece. The only modification you need to do to make it fit 100% correct is to clearance the cut out for the starter a little, otherwise it doesn't line up right. I can explain more if you're interested.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Well, I got some very frustrating news today from McLeod:

Apparently they are not going to cover this failure under warranty, as they claim the clutch failure was related to a hard downshift. I NEVER hard downshift the car, it's never seen a road course, and until the track visit the car hadn't even been raced, just tuned with some granny shifts.

Also, they are saying the clutch we sent them was a Street Twin, NOT an RXT, which is VERY strange because I ordered this clutch from Lethal and paid for an RXT. So now I'm out 600 bucks on a $1500 clutch at the time that didn't even have 1k miles on it, let alone any real abuse. Very disappointed in McLeod right now, and here I used to be proud to have their product in my car...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Also, McLeod is saying the clutch we sent them was a Street Twin, NOT an RXT, which is VERY strange because I ordered this clutch from Lethal and paid for an RXT.

This seems like the most alarming thing I've read on this thread. What McLeod part number did you order from Lethal? Do you still have that invoice?

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
This seems like the most alarming thing I've read on this thread. What McLeod part number did you order from Lethal? Do you still have that invoice?

I actually went on the McLeod website and compared my pics to the RXT and it DOES appear it is an RXT, so I think maybe there was a miscommunication there.

Update: I sent McLeod an email with the facts today and within 30 minutes I had a call from the owner, Paul Lee. He and I talked for a few minutes and he and I agreed on some terms, which was half of the rebuild fee and the clutch would be upgraded to an RXT+, which I guess is a combination of the 5-point floater instead of 3 and a different material on the clutch discs. I agreed to this and was much happier with that answer.

Then around 10 minutes later Lee from
McLeod called me and asked if I would rather have a free steel bell housing and OEM clutch fork instead of the half off the rebuild. So instead of half the rebuild and still having to buy a bell housing (900 bucks), I am now just having to pay for the rebuild (600 bucks), which I would have been out anyway had I added a steel bell housing in the first place.

Needless to say this was the icing on the cake for me and I'm happy with McLeod's support and willingness to help the customer, especially considering this clutch is 2 years old (with ~1000 miles, mind you).

itSSlow98

Established Member
You were at the track beating on the car and something breaks.....and now your mad a company wont warranty it???? Seems odd to me lol.

Just saw your last post and im glad it worked out for you but stuff happens.

Last edited:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
You were at the track beating on the car and something breaks.....and now your mad a company wont warranty it???? Seems odd to me lol.

I was at the track on a clutch that advertises it can withstand power I don't make, and I wasn't launching the crap out of the car as I was on street tires.

If it was a stocker or a cheap spec I wouldn't be mad, but it wasn't. It was a McLeod with no real hard miles so "stuff" shouldn't have happened the way it did. Thanks for your input though.

Poppacapp

Established Member

They build these clutches for track abuse. That's what they are made for. It's not like its a stock clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread