McLeod RXT Experience so far... 150 miles into break in

musclefan21

Established Member
Clutch was installed at a local performance shop professionally. Replaced the pilot bearing, slave cylinder, fly wheel bolts and full clutch and flywheel assembly. So everything is brand new there. I am at 150 miles 95% of that is city stop and go if not more.

Clutch still chatters sometimes. Or most of the time. First gear has this annoying vibration from like 1300-1500rmp to like 2000-2200rpm, them goes away. Other gears don't have this vibration. I have yet to go above 3k rpm and the car has yet to see even 1psi boost. So no idea how she will behave under WOT.

so far break in process is a bit rough. Clutch feels chattery and vibration. I installed ACT Twin disk that had almost 1000hp capacity to my 04 cobra. It chattered slightly initially but after like 200 miles, it was like a BMW, Honda clutch. Smooth as glass. I did not have any vibration issues at all.

Hopefully the chatter and vibration goes away...

nxhappy

Established Member
take it back to that shop. sound like they did a shitty job on install....

Nsssane1

Established Member
Man I don't really notice any chatter with mine!! I did notice when taking off in very low rpms it would like jerk as the clutch was slipping ( trying to grip) for maybe 50 miles then that went away.

Is that your vibration.

mtang43050

Established Member
I am 250 miles in my break-in on my rxt.I have a little chatter at low rpm take offs but no vibration.I had a ram twin disc and MT drag slicks took it out......a little nervous about launching the car again.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Mine doesn't chatter at all...pedal isn't quite as soft as I thought...better than my Spec 3+ but not by any means "so easy granny could do it".

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Pedal feel is similar to the 11/12 stock clutch, it will chatter without some gas. Doesn't like to take off from idle, give it a good 500 mile break in and it will feel better.

PrestonJ

Established Member
I'm 280 miles into the break-in period on the same clutch in my car. The only thing I did differently from you is that I did not replace the slave cylinder and I upgraded my hydraulic line to a stainless steel one. It chattered a little at first I guess but it stopped doing that very quickly. I only notice "chatter" when I don't give it enough gas from a stop (like when the engine is about to die). Could that be your problem? The point of engagement with this clutch is very different from my stock one and it definitely took some getting used to. For lack of a better term it "bites" harder and faster and in my case at least you have to give it gas faster. I even had an incident a week ago where I had to give it gas to avoid someone that nearly rear-ended me and I probably hit 2-3 PSI of boost. No problems so far.

musclefan21

Established Member
Yeah I noticed if I didnt give enouhh gas, it chatters, if I give a bit of gas, it doesn't.

However the vibration is there frlm 1500 to 2200rpm ish.. I will take it back and have them tear it down and put it back together. Vibrarion has to be due to some sort of misalignment, unless the flywheel is damaged.

Let me tell ya folks, the packagong was soo beat up, when I picked the box up, clutch almost fell through the box, I barely stopped it. Alignment tool was in pieces. Someone banged it around a lot during shipment.

Nsssane1

Established Member
That sux on the shipping!!

Was the correct slave used. I used the 07-09 clutch and needed the 07-09 slave also.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Had slight chattering with mine for about the first 100 miles. Got tired of sneaking around at night trying to break it in. Around 300 miles I had to go through the gears since I was missing the whine. 1K since then and no issues. Feels softer than stock but definitely holds. No clutch smell of hard launched like the stock clutch

fullboogie

Established Member
You guys are using the word "chatter" in many different ways. Chatter refers to letting the pedal out when taking off in first gear. Are you also experiencing some kind of vibration with the pedal out and only your foot on the gas? That sounds like a separate problem, like a vibration or floater rattle.

musclefan21

Established Member
I am at 275 miles now. 95% of that is city, clutch in, clutch out kind if miles.

Clutch feels much better now. Chatter only occurs if I dont give enough gas. Or else takes off without chatter.

So question, lets say I am cruising at 60mph, clutch fully engaged. Can I get on it, take it upto 6000rpm snd shut it down at this point? I am not talking about rowing through gears. I just missed the feeling and already been breaking it for a while.

Thanks folks :beer:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
So question, lets say I am cruising at 60mph, clutch fully engaged. Can I get on it, take it upto 6000rpm snd shut it down at this point? I am not talking about rowing through gears. I just missed the feeling and already been breaking it for a while.

Thanks folks :beer:

That shouldn't be a problem. Just no launching or banging gears. What's your power level?

quad

Established Member
Just saw this thread.

I have over 1000 miles on my Mcleod RXT. It is great when you give it gas and grips fantastic.

However if I happen to be driving in 3rd gear at around 2200 RPM and I have to let off the gas because of traffic and I stay in 3rd it will become jerky as if the car is going to stall once the RPMs go below 2000. So then I have to shift down to 2nd to get the RPMs past 2000 again and it is smooth again.

Even when the car was stock this would happen in higher gears but not just below 2000 RPM - more around 1000-1200 if I recall correctly.

Edit: Sorry just noticed this is the GT500 forum - I found the thread via google.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
What kind of install prices you guys paying? I will probably be in the market for one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread