Mcleod RXT clutch

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
Hey guys I've been reading all night about the RXT clutch, and which flywheel everyone says to get. I am almost convinced I want the lightened steel flywheel. Any one suggest aluminum instead. Also just out of curiosity how much does our stock flywheel weigh? Almost impossible to find on the web. New wheels and mickey 's coming in tomorrow, will post pics.

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
Just had a Spec aluminum flywheel installed with a Stage 2+ clutch.
There is a slight vibration at low speeds under load, but, doesn't bother me.
Figure it will facilitate faster reving that helps both at the strip and autocrossing.
These Boss 302's like to rev!

_Snake_

Established Member
I'm still researching also, but it seems like the lightened steel is preferred over the aluminum. And there's minimal weight savings over OEM.

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
How much can an aluminum flywheel hold I'm at 700hp/700tq now. I'm only climbing in those aspects. I'll drag some not much. Mostly just spirited driving.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
I contacted McLeod as I am on the fence between the RXT and the RST. The rep there suggested the RXT for even my stock car over the RST. He said for drivability the Steel Flywheel over the aluminum as the RXT does not like to be slipped and grabs quicker. For a race application the aluminum would/could be better, but for stop light to stop light he recommended the RXT and the McLeod Steel Flywheel.

I'm on my second ACL on my clutch leg, so a light easy to use clutch is what I want/need.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I went with RST and steel flywheel, because I drive my car every weekend. So I wanted to be able to slip the clutch when in traffic. I also track (road course) my car and have no complaints with the RST. Another reason I went with the RST was because I have no plans to go FI.

From what I've read, the RXT is too grabby for comfortable street use. Unless, you're pushing 700hp like the OP!!!

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I went with RST and steel flywheel, because I drive my car every weekend. So I wanted to be able to slip the clutch when in traffic. I also track (road course) my car and have no complaints with the RST. Another reason I went with the RST was because I have no plans to go FI.

From what I've read, the RXT is too grabby for comfortable street use. Unless, you're pushing 700hp like the OP!!!

My RXT does alright in bumper to bumper traffic everyday. It's a little tricky at times and can be a pain in the ass but is doable.

Eng90

Established Member
My Spec Stage 2+ is good in traffic and pedal effort slightly more than stock.
Good choice for me.

do you need to rev the car on stops and goes ? i would like to go this way but i want the car to launch my car quietly specially when cops are around lol

FKing1

Established Member
do you need to rev the car on stops and goes ? i would like to go this way but i want the car to launch my car quietly specially when cops are around lol

I do have to rev the motor more that the stock flywheel, otherwise it is easy to stall.
Less than 500 RPM and the sound is not excessive IMO.
Also if you don't rev more there is a slight vibration.

Eng90

Established Member
I do have to rev the motor more that the stock flywheel, otherwise it is easy to stall.
Less than 500 RPM and the sound is not excessive IMO.
Also if you don't rev more there is a slight vibration.

What flywheel do u have ? And how much rpm does it shift at woth no issues ??

I ordered an exedy mach 500 cuz its a cheap combo and i think i will sell ot and go for spec if spec is more sufficient

FKing1

Established Member
The Spec aluminum flywheel that sells for $399.
If I rev to 1000 RPM ( + or - 100 or so) there is no vibration or shutter. I put Fat Mat around the Bell Housing that cut the vibration considerably.

Have reved the Spec Stage 2+ clutch and MGW to rev limit in 1-2-3 to 4 with no lockout. Could never do this with the stock clutch and Barton.
Am very satisfied with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread