McLeod RXT clutch chatter

SimplexDesign

Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone with an RXT installed experiences clutch chatter when the car is in neutral? I had an RXT and a lightened steel flywheel installed in my 08 GT500 a little over 1000 miles ago to avoid a lot of the clutch issues these cars have, and I was hoping to get rid of the factory clutch chatter but sadly 1000 miles later and the clutch is still chattering.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
In neutral mine is quiet. Why would it chatter in neutral. Mine will chatter if I start to move in first with too little gas

SimplexDesign

Established Member
Mine has chattered in neutral since I bought the car even before installing the RXT. Raising the RPM's by stepping on the gas will make it stop but otherwise it chatters.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I don't understand how it could be chatter as previously mentioned by Brok3n-svt. That happens as you're engaging the clutch, in gear, and the the friction surfaces don't meet smoothly. Can you feel it? Or just hear it? If you hear it but don't feel it, it's probably gear rollover and is normal. If you feel it, I'd say something's installed wrong.

Steve

SimplexDesign

Established Member
I don't understand how it could be chatter as previously mentioned by Brok3n-svt. That happens as you're engaging the clutch, in gear, and the the friction surfaces don't meet smoothly. Can you feel it? Or just hear it? If you hear it but don't feel it, it's probably gear rollover and is normal. If you feel it, I'd say something's installed wrong.

Steve

I just hear it in neutral. As soon as I press the clutch pedal in the noise goes away. I have never heard a similar noise in any other manual transmission car I have ever driven.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
If it goes away when you push in the pedal, it's more then likely the throw out bearing. Cost about 200ish from ford if I remember correctly and it's built into the slave so you get that too. Sucks to have to pull it apart now just to replace that.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
If it goes away when you push in the pedal, it's more then likely the throw out bearing. Cost about 200ish from ford if I remember correctly and it's built into the slave so you get that too. Sucks to have to pull it apart now just to replace that.

And the fact that the noise was there stock and with the RXT, it screams TOB because he reused his original unit.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine has chattered in neutral since I bought the car even before installing the RXT. Raising the RPM's by stepping on the gas will make it stop but otherwise it chatters.

I understand, it is very annoying. If you have a SCT tuner, try adjusting the idle up or down by 50 rpm at a time. While fine tuning my custom tune, at low idle (below 700 rpm), my transmission was really noisy in neutral with the clutch released. As we increased idle rpm to 800 or higher, everything quieted down. Again, if you have a hand-held, try this before removing the transmission... you might be pleasantly surprised. I agree with 54First, probably just gear noise. Also, turn off the a/c compressor while you are doing this so idle speed is constant and you don't confuse compressor noise with gear noise. I have a noisy a/c compressor.

SimplexDesign

Established Member

You are probably right. I suggested the slave cylinder/TOB get replaced, but the reputable mustang shop I had install the RXT insisted it wasn't necessary on a car with such low miles.

I understand, it is very annoying. If you have a SCT tuner, try adjusting the idle up or down by 50 rpm at a time. While fine tuning my custom tune, at low idle (below 700 rpm), my transmission was really noisy in neutral with the clutch released. As we increased idle rpm to 800 or higher, everything quieted down. Again, if you have a hand-held, try this before removing the transmission... you might be pleasantly surprised. I agree with 54First, probably just gear noise. Also, turn off the a/c compressor while you are doing this so idle speed is constant and you don't confuse compressor noise with gear noise. I have a noisy a/c compressor.

I will try this before I call the shop, thank you for the suggestion.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
It sounds like gear rattle to me. All those gears are still turning in your tranny while in neutral with the clutch engaged. Mine does the same, push the clutch in and it stops. I have the RXT as well and because it lacks the springs it transfers more noise through the drive line. I will also look into raising the rpm, sounds like a good idea. Clutch chatter is when you release your clutch and engagement ins't smooth- this usually doesn't have any noise to it like a rattle.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You CANNOT have clutch chatter in neutral. The clutch is all locked up. That could be T/O bearing or internal tranny noise, but it isn't the clutch.

Chatter is when you release the clutch and the clutch is trying to grip and isn't gripping fully. When bad, it will shake the entire vehicle.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread