McLeod RST vs Ram Street 9.5 Dual Disc

Lava5.0

Established Member
Hey Everyone,
I recently developed a transmission gear whine and sent the car in for service under my ESP. Since the dealer noticed the car was up there in miles (53K), he said it might not be a bad idea to buy a new clutch since he has to pull it all out anyway. I've narrowed my choice to two clutches: The McLeod RST and its lightened steel flywheel and the RAM Street Dual Disc Force 9.5 Clutch w/ Flywheel. Both should offer me the easy drivability of organic plates while being able to handle whatever I throw at it.

The problem is I can't choose. I know Mcleod makes a solid product, though I am aware some people claim clutch chatter at idle and 1800rpms. I also know the RST has 11 inch plates compared to the 9.5 of the Ram. In theory that should make it easier to drive. Is that the case? I've heard that the Ram was easier to drive but to be honest, I can't find many reviews on the RAM clutch on either SVTperformance and AllfordMustangs.

The RAM has a 200 dollar price advantage and comes matched with the flywheel from the factory. This seems like a nice benefit. But I could be wrong. I guess really any feedback in either direction will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks and have a great night.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Subscribing but I have nothing to add with the simple fact that I'm going with the RXT and Alum flywheel since I race the car quite a bit. I've read that the Mcleods have a lighter clutch feel than the oem.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
I was having the same debate the past few weeks since my car had to go to ford for mt82 issues. I've got a turbo kit coming so I knew a clutch was in order. RST RXT RAM 9.5 and the Spec SS were all in the running. I plan on launching with slicks, so it needed to be able to hold abuse. Everywhere I read about noise was from a twin disc issue, it doesn't matter the brand there's gonna be something there. On the board here hopony had the ram 9.5 on his car with a paxton. He said it wasn't too loud but couldn't handle the hard track launches and if I was to go with ram do a 10.5. Not much found on spec except their rebuildable.

There's probably multiple reasons we always see the rxt and rst reviews, but it seems to take abuse, be somewhat easy on the trans, and can be had at a semi reasonable price. I just got mine from lethal during the Labor Day sale, the RXT with regular steel flywheel. These two aren't a package like the aluminum or lightened steel. But since lethal gives you points when you order, I ordered the clutch first with the 10% disc and free shipping. Waited a few hours for the points to show up in my account then bought the steel flywheel (about 100 less than lightened steel) with 10% disc, points disc and free shipping. All in all I got the RXT and flywheel shipped for 1120. If you went with the rst figure 200 less...

Lava5.0

Established Member
I was having the same debate the past few weeks since my car had to go to ford for mt82 issues. I've got a turbo kit coming so I knew a clutch was in order. RST RXT RAM 9.5 and the Spec SS were all in the running. I plan on launching with slicks, so it needed to be able to hold abuse. Everywhere I read about noise was from a twin disc issue, it doesn't matter the brand there's gonna be something there. On the board here hopony had the ram 9.5 on his car with a paxton. He said it wasn't too loud but couldn't handle the hard track launches and if I was to go with ram do a 10.5. Not much found on spec except their rebuildable.

There's probably multiple reasons we always see the rxt and rst reviews, but it seems to take abuse, be somewhat easy on the trans, and can be had at a semi reasonable price. I just got mine from lethal during the Labor Day sale, the RXT with regular steel flywheel. These two aren't a package like the aluminum or lightened steel. But since lethal gives you points when you order, I ordered the clutch first with the 10% disc and free shipping. Waited a few hours for the points to show up in my account then bought the steel flywheel (about 100 less than lightened steel) with 10% disc, points disc and free shipping. All in all I got the RXT and flywheel shipped for 1120. If you went with the rst figure 200 less...

I just really wanted to thank you for your input. Your detailed response actually helped a lot in figuring this all out. I wound up going with the Mcloud RST and the lightened steel flywheel as I agreed with your sentiment that there are reasons we have heard a lot of good things about the clutches. Anyway, I just wanted note that your effort was appreciated.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I just purchased the RXT and Alum flywheel. Did you also change the slave, pilot bearing, and ARP bolts? How you liking it so far?

Users who are viewing this thread