Mcleod RST problem

glittle75

Established Member
I have a 2003 Mach 1, with a 3650 and a Mcleod RST. Heres my problem, I bought the car the clutch was allready installed. With an adjustable cable, i might add, and the nuts on the end of the cable were all the way at the end.
Whenever I WOT the car, the clutch is slipping a little bit, not enough to feel a power loss, but if you go WOT then shut the car down and get out, you can smell clutch a little.
I got the car in the air today, and pulled the dust cover for the cable and fork. And found it was all the way at the end of its adjustment, I have the stock ford cable, so I started taking the cable off to put the stock one on.
There is no way the stock cable would work, and the adjustable one barely does. With the car in the air, the fork is putting pressure on the TOB constantly, enough to where I cant spin it or feel any movement at all when I reach in there. And the fork is backed up against the transmission case as well where it comes through the inspection hole. I put a decent sized screwdriver in there and tried to pry it forward, but it feel like its gonna fall off stands / jack if pry any harder.
FOr anyone who has installed a cable on the 3650, you know how the cables resting place is like half way through the forks throw? Well my fork is pinned to the rear with constant pressure. Its like there is 'to much' clutch in there.
Fork doesnt feel bent.
Some websites reccomend an adjustable pivot ball mount for the clutch, im not sure if there is one in mine, could I check without dropping it? Something to feel for maybe? I can get my hands in there enough to grab the TOB good.
Its like there is not play in the fork, and there couldn't be even if you wanted it.
Any help??

glittle75

Established Member
Well, just for information in case this thread gets searched. If you put a RST (or RXT) in a 3650 behind a 4v 4.6, you NEED to put an adjustable pivot ball in so it brings the fork to the right position. The pivot ball i ordered was from Lethal Performance, and it was a Lakewood piece. Went in great, and was really short. It brought the fork from full aft against the trans bell housing, to about 3/4 of the way back in the inspection window. This posistioning of the fork allowed for full disengagement of the clutch without the fork hitting the bellhousing at the front. Firewall adjuster took out all the slack in the cable and no engagement is great, and the TOB no longer rides on the PP fingers constantly.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Well, just for information in case this thread gets searched. If you put a RST (or RXT) in a 3650 behind a 4v 4.6, you NEED to put an adjustable pivot ball in so it brings the fork to the right position. The pivot ball i ordered was from Lethal Performance, and it was a Lakewood piece. Went in great, and was really short. It brought the fork from full aft against the trans bell housing, to about 3/4 of the way back in the inspection window. This posistioning of the fork allowed for full disengagement of the clutch without the fork hitting the bellhousing at the front. Firewall adjuster took out all the slack in the cable and no engagement is great, and the TOB no longer rides on the PP fingers constantly.

This is common information when installing ANY twin disc in ANY car...

glittle75

Established Member
Thanks bro, i figured if it was so common, i would have been able to come up with a reply on one of the 5 forums i posted this question. Or maybe when I called Mcleod they could have told me this common information.
All 5 forums threads look just like this one, lots of views, no help. So instead of letting it die without a solution, figured I would post the solution so the next asshole like me that has to search this info can find it.

Also, take into consideration how many people ACTUALLY change thier own clutches, and out of those people how many install a twin disk, not many do, so how common is it really?

But thanks for the helpfull and timely response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread