McLaren P1 Content

61mmstang94

Established Member
My new favorite car. There's plenty of YouTube videos displaying what it can do.

Showing the gas/elec engines and transmission layout:

"The 177-hp electric motor has many roles. Aside from delivering torque to the wheels, it starts the V-8, charges both the high voltage (535-volt, 4.7-kWh hybrid battery), and via a DC-DC convertor, acts as an alternator by managing the standard 12-volt system. This setup simplifies the engine auxiliary layout. In fact, the engine lacks any belt-driven auxiliary altogether. Aside from the motor, there is an A/C compressor, but it is driven off the electric motor’s gearbox."

mclaren-p1-engine-01-0213-de.jpg

feature-quattroruote-formula-aug2013-pic3.jpg

Showing what's under its skin:

"To transform the 12C’s carbon-fiber tub into the P1’s MonoCage, McLaren utilizes a process it calls co-curing. It combines resin transfer molding and an autoclave. The lower half of the MonoCage is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the tub found in the 12C, although it’s about 11 pounds lighter. Then the roof is laid up on the tub and the top half is cured in an autoclave. The end product weighs less than 200 pounds. And, while we’re on the topic of carbon fiber, the front clamshell weighs about eight pounds and the rear clam, that stands six feet tall, is about 15 pounds. McLaren claims the P1 will come in at around 3100 pounds, but we suspect the actual curb weight will be closer to 3300 when she’s full of fluids."

2014-Mclaren-P1-chassis.jpg

mclaren-p1-rig-rear.jpg

mclaren_p1_rig-1.jpg

mclaren-p1-rig-profile.jpg

Pretty awesome that a car with the added electric motor still only weighs ~3,000-lbs (dry) and I believe the entire monocoque weighs under 200-lbs. it does 0-60 in roughly 2.8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 9.8 at ~155mph.

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Here's some cool info on the suspension:

"In the planning process it was deemed the suspension of the P1, or as McLaren calls it, “the world’s best car on road and track,” needs to adapt from casual drive to race-car focus at the touch of a button. The target roll stiffness is achievable with the hydraulic system underpinning the 12C. Controlling suspension heave, the up-and-down control of each axle, to the targeted level required something else. In the 12C, a Z-bar is fitted to control rear-axle heave. Heave is very important in a car like the P1 because at 150 mph it makes 1323 pounds of downforce. At that speed, even the smallest change in ride height will greatly affect aerodynamics and potentially upset the car’s balance. Also, McLaren wanted the ability to slam the P1 2.2 inches closer to the ground. So, what is McLaren to do? File a patent, of course. While the hardware is supplied by Tenneco, the hydraulic actuators (that look like a fancy damper) now feature four chambers, instead of two in the 12C’s hardware. The two extra chambers dictate ride height and control heave. Four additional accumulators (two at each axle) link the axles together. As in the 12C, the P1 is fitted with unequal-length control arms at the front at rear axles and relatively soft Eibach coil springs are at each corner. In the end, there are no anti-roll bars, no Z-bar, and eight hydraulic accumulators (there are four in the 12C)."

Roll-and-Heave.jpg

And there's no denying how good it looks with the body panels on:

213f1872-4fcf-48ee-9d8f-93decf6a2fa1hires.jpg

805020-mclaren-p1.jpg

mclaren-p1.jpg

pearl-white-mclaren-p1-3.jpg

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That is definitely one of my new favorite cars, Mclaren did a amazing job with this one.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I like it a lot! That being said, I lust over the Ferrari Laferrari just a little more. Hopefully someone will do a compare of the two in the near future.(I know topgear uk said they were planning on it)

klr16G

Established Member
OMG thank you for this, I'm also with you that this is one of my all time favorite cars right now...

61mmstang94

Established Member
top gear is doing the p1 and the 918 too right?

I believe so but it's under-powered and overweight compared to the P1 so I don't see the P1 losing there.

Both cool cars and along with LaFerrari I'm really interested in this new wave of gas/electric combinations making a lot of power in these cars.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I believe so but it's under-powered and overweight compared to the P1 so I don't see the P1 losing there.

Both cool cars and along with LaFerrari I'm really interested in this new wave of gas/electric combinations making a lot of power in these cars.
Oh yeah i know i was just saying they are going to be comparing them but the 918 wont stand a chance. The P1 is just amazing. And I wont ever have to worry about the gas/electric combinations cause i cant even afford one! The kind of money they go for is insane!

61mmstang94

Established Member
Oh yeah i know i was just saying they are going to be comparing them but the 918 wont stand a chance. The P1 is just amazing. And I wont ever have to worry about the gas/electric combinations cause i cant even afford one! The kind of money they go for is insane!

You're right, they're expensive cars for sure. Here's a cool breakdown of the P1 and LaFerrari (and the Lamborghini is thrown in the middle):

comparecars.png

Going just by numbers the LaFerrari is probably going to be the faster (b/t LaFerrari,P1 and 918). ~2800-lbs and ~950-hp is a strong setup for sure.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
You're right, they're expensive cars for sure. Here's a cool breakdown of the P1 and LaFerrari (and the Lamborghini is thrown in the middle):

comparecars.png

Going just by numbers the LaFerrari is probably going to be the faster (b/t LaFerrari,P1 and 918). ~2800-lbs and ~950-hp is a strong setup for sure.
thats cool and yeah looks like laferrari has it in the power to weight on paper but i dont how the ferrari integrates the electric and the gas. Thats what it will come down to. Which has better efficiency on electric and gas working together.

But i must say for any of those cars on the list i would take the Koenigsegg Agera R or CCX-R. maybe even an F1 or S7. love all those cars

Users who are viewing this thread