Mazda Speed6 or Subaru WRX (STI)

Which is the better car?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I'm considering getting rid of the 01 Cobra for something more practical. For some reason or another I have the Speed6 and WRX on my mind. I'd like to get an STI, but I'd have to find a hell of a deal on one. Curious as to what the rest of you think about reliability, ease of maintenance, etc. Which is the all around better car.

ETA: Car will be a daily driver and will not be modded/raced etc.

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
Both decent cars, both awd fi cars, sti has better aftermarket support and little more power however. I would go with the sti IF I could find one with similar miles as Mazda.

Mika

Established Member
If you got a family, Speed6. If you don't, STi. The Speed6 will have a little bit more room than either the WRX or STi. I'm not sure about mileage, but I'd imagine that the 6 got better mileage. It is the more "boring" car, but the 6 would be the more practical choice.

Mika

adam911

Established Member
Like the post above the Mazda is more of a family friendly. I had a stage two wrx and had nothing but fun in the car, have quite a few friend with wrx and stis and they are great cars. If you cant afford an sti a 06+ wrx is still a very nice car due to the 2.5l vs the 2.0 in the earlier years. From what i know the 5 speed is a little stronger also. But if you can get an sti as it has much more to offer then a regular wrx.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm considering getting rid of the 01 Cobra for something more practical. For some reason or another I have the Speed6 and WRX on my mind. I'd like to get an STI, but I'd have to find a hell of a deal on one. Curious as to what the rest of you think about reliability, ease of maintenance, etc. Which is the all around better car.

ETA: Car will be a daily driver and will not be modded/raced etc.

Both will be great cars if left stock. I cant attest to the MS6's reliability when modded, but the second my buddy started modding his WRX, it was all downhill from there (and hes no ghetto dsm'er either). Id rock a subie but no freaking way would I mod it past a nice exhaust.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
If you got a family, Speed6. If you don't, STi. The Speed6 will have a little bit more room than either the WRX or STi. I'm not sure about mileage, but I'd imagine that the 6 got better mileage. It is the more "boring" car, but the 6 would be the more practical choice.

Mika

Exactly. I am in the process of buying another Speed6. The two cars are not really comparable as the STI is similar to an Evo and the Speed6 is supposed to compete with the Suby Legacy GT.

The aftermarket is MUCH more friendly for the STI but there are a few 400+ AWHP Speed 6's roming around. They are expensive to build and tuners have had issues with direct port in tuning.

The one I had was with a full exhuast and COBB Accessport and it wasted the 2 stock speed6's I came across. I loved that car and like I said I'm buying another; most likely this week.

If you're going regular WRX I'd say the speed 6, MUCH nicer interior in the GT model and a nicer all around car as far as looks is concerned.

Old pic for reference.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
MazdaSpeed6! Mazda did a good amount to the 6's chassis than strapping a boy racer wing to the back of it.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I had an 2006 STi for about 2 years. It was ok, but lacked any sort of refinement what so ever. The interior felt like it was designed by a 6 year old and was super cheap plastic prone to rattles.

SVT2uner44

Established Member
I had a speed6 and it was a fun car untill my motor blew, and from there money started going like it was nothing in order to build the motor and add a larger turbo. The thing I dont like is that they have a limited aftermarket which is not an issue with the sti. And an sti sounds sweet.

whiplash306

Established Member
I had an '04 STi from brand new to 52,000 miles. The absolute ONLY thing I had to unexpectedly replace on that car was an O2 sensor. Otherwise, the car was flawless and despite MANY nay-sayers, was able to run neck and neck with and in many cases, slowly pull away from stock and/or exhausted LS1 F-bodys and EASILY pull away from my own '04 Mach I on highway pulls.....this was with nothing more than an intake, headers and a lightened crank pulley (NO tune). However, gas mileage wasn't too great. But I would absolutely own an STi again.

That said, a little over three years ago, we purchased a BRAND NEW '08 Mazdaspeed 3. This car is a FANTASTIC car...extremely quick after an intake (stock airbox is THE most restrictive air box I've EVER seen) and regularly gets 31 mpg on hwy trips, staying out of boost. Plus, it's got HID's, auto windshield wipers, 6 disc CD changer, BOSE stereo (pretty good quality) and TONS of room for family, friends and luggage. My wife can drive the Mazdaspeed 3 good enough to lay a hurtin' on many unsuspecting drivers.

I've not owned a Mazdaspeed 6 and probably wouldn't as they're a bit more "boring". However, if you don't absolutely NEED AWD, I would suggest a Mazdaspeed 3 without a doubt. GREAT, GREAT car!!!!! My Dad just bought a '10 MS3 and it's the most fun he's had in a car in years and years...he also regularly gets >30 mpg and like ~ 24-26 mpg in town. The MS3's are HARD all-around cars to beat. However, if your choices are only between an STi and an MS3, I'd without a doubt go the STi....more room, more power, more mod potential and a boxer engine that is amazing sounding....!

GL with your choice. Let us know what you decide on. You said you need something more practical. Out of an MS3, MS6 or STi, there's NO doubt that the MS3 is FAR more practical......

**hint, hint** MS3...!!!!:rockon:

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I had a Speed6 for two years and 48k miles, was a good car for that time, I got rid of it for my G8 GXP. It was a good car in all weather, drove in everything with a good set of all season tires. I averaged about 25mpg in it as well.

yellowbra

Established Member
Exactly. I am in the process of buying another Speed6. The two cars are not really comparable as the STI is similar to an Evo and the Speed6 is supposed to compete with the Suby Legacy GT.

The aftermarket is MUCH more friendly for the STI but there are a few 400+ AWHP Speed 6's roming around. They are expensive to build and tuners have had issues with direct port in tuning.

The one I had was with a full exhuast and COBB Accessport and it wasted the 2 stock speed6's I came across. I loved that car and like I said I'm buying another; most likely this week.

If you're going regular WRX I'd say the speed 6, MUCH nicer interior in the GT model and a nicer all around car as far as looks is concerned.

Old pic for reference.
http://img94..us[/URL

Holy huge ass picture batman!! I would have to say for the fun factor go with the STI, but like others have said if you have little ones and you need some room go for the MS6. Personnally I wouldn't give a shit either way I would go with the STI.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Two different animals.

The WRX platform is more of an economy car comparable in size and comfort to a Corolla, Civic sedan, Focus, etc.

The Mazda 6 is a mid-size sedan comparable to a Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc..

The STI is a better performer, (both in handling, acceleration and braking) since it's considerably lighter. The Speed6 is a bit faster than a base WRX though.

My brother has owned a Speed6 for about 2 years, no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Love the way it drives, very comfortable and refined for what it costs. As a daily driver that would be left stock I'd take the Speed6 over a WRX or STI any day of the week and twice on Sunday. ;-)

480961390_1f0a9fe2c9.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Wow, nobody listened to the op.
He clearly said it WILL NOT be modded or raced.

That said go with the Speed 6.
Better fuel economy, more room, overall more reliable, and stock for stock, quicker than a WRX.
WRXs are nice, but once you have one, you crave an STI after awhile, or so a few friends have told me.
you could wait for a deal on an STI, but then your likely looking at higher miles, more abused, older cars.

Users who are viewing this thread