Maybe good news for Canadian buyers

R1Lello

Established Member
Some info I just posted on StangsUnleashed............I'm copying/paste to speed it up............

Well, we may pay more tax but we may be in luck in Canada for this Shelby. Over the last few days, I've been visiting a few dealers to narrow down my color selection........should the call come.........

Yesterday I visited Dixie Ford in Mississauga (Í have about 4-5 SVT dealers all within a 10-20 km radius. Kennedy, Dixie, Erinwood, Summit). I was looking at a black GT in the showroom which has some extra accessories from the Ford Racing Parts on it........nice car.

Anyways, the GM comes over, and we start chatting. I basically told him I'm not there to waste anyones time as my deposit is elsewhere but he was cool and chatted. He was well informed and aware of what's going on in the u.s. with over msrp and that all u.s. dealers will get very few cars.

So here is some good news (again, maybe but sounds possible)

1) He confirmed that Ford opened up the SVT car to ALL Ford dealers.........so one-three cars each maybe in the u.s. but still only to SVT dealers in Canada

2) If true, approx 27-30 dealers here and only 300 cars, well then 10 cars avg. or so each.

3) He confirmed, can not sell over msrp across Canada !!!!! Good !!!

4) Can not export the car so ours are ours period..........and clearly stamped on my sales receipt from May of 2005

5) Price not announced, he expects 2-4 weeks from now. He did say options and colors can still change but more so colors. Same with opening the banks to order............2-4 weeks in Canada

6) Allocation - Canadian dealers will differ depending on volume of SVT cars they sold in the past.........he expects up to 18 for his

7) I told him my buddy and I are 7 & 8 and with confidence he said, 'you guys won't have a problem'

Now, the reason he said point # 7 is because as you know, dealers all know each other and said of one of the dealers listed above that they took deposits on the ' 07 for 30 people and that many will be disappointed as he is confident that dealer will not get 30 cars for '07

Take if for what it's worth, looks like we may get the better end of the bargain here even though we pay a stinken' 15% tax!! Damn gov't !!!

Last edited:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
GT500 in Alberta

The new car show was in Calgary last weekend, and they had the Shelby there. The goof...I mean salesman I talked to said that his dealership had the highest volume for SVT dealers in Calgary (3 SVT dealers) and that they were supposed to be getting 6 cars. When he asked if I had a deposit down, and I said no, he laughed at me and said then there was no way I would get one unless I came to the table with a big chunk of extra cash, as they had a waiting list of 65 people waiting for a car. If there is only 300 coming to Canada, it sounds like there may be quite a few people that will be disappointed. Although the Shelby is a different animal, I heard the same thing when the 2003 Cobras and Mach 1's came out (limited build, only getting one or two, yada yada). Dealers were selling them for full pop, but as the supply ramped up they sold them at a discount. In 2004 there were dealers selling leftover Cobras and Machs at cost and with 0% financing for 5yrs (that's when I bought), and while I don't forsee any deals on financing, I'm hoping that there will be enough supply to get the Shelby.

Pony Ride

Established Member
Deposits for 30 cars at what $$ amount. Nice chunk of change to hold on to till one by one they give up on the car and ask for there money back. Its a wait and see what happens at this point. Number one thing is to get the cost and then get the order in .

R1Lello

Established Member
Pony Ride said:
Deposits for 30 cars at what $$ amount. Nice chunk of change to hold on to till one by one they give up on the car and ask for there money back. Its a wait and see what happens at this point. Number one thing is to get the cost and then get the order in .

Who knows, when my buddy and I starting shopping, most wanted anywhere from $1000 to $2500 Canadian as deposit but this is on a proper written sales agreement.

klingonford

Established Member
I am No. 9 on my dealers list in Saskatoon. They are the second largest Ford dealer in their region (Alberta and Sask) so they should be getting more than the others. In the past they have received 12 - 15 cobras and are expecting the same for the GT500. They asked for a refundable $1000 deposit to get on the list with a couple people leaving $5000. (although this doesn't give them any special advantage) In total they have close to 30 on the list, and have turned down about 40 others. 30 is probably a reasonable number since most people are big talkers until it comes time to write a cheque for $50K - $60.

What are you guys expecting for price. I am expecting about 5% over the 04 cobras. $52 ish???

My dealer also confirmed that there will be no markup over msrp, but that they won't sell to someone if they suspect they are just going to flip it for a profit.

Any indication when they will be getting delivered. July, Aug, Sept?? I hope it's not as late as Sept.

Requis

Established Member
klingonford said:
....Any indication when they will be getting delivered. July, Aug, Sept?? I hope it's not as late as Sept.

Deffinitely not July, both dealers I'm on have said no way. Late August maybe. Likely Late september, early October with the caveate that they hope they are wrong. Order Banks are suppose to open in April-May. U.S. based allocation is the priority, unless something changes.

Every dealer (11) I've spoken too agrees we'll see them very late summer early fall.

Cheers,

Requis

Pony Ride

Established Member
I think you are right on with the fact that when it comes down to writing the check there will be those that do not go through with it. In the past I have had to sign a paper stating I will not sell for 6 months and that will be the case this time. Dollar exchange rate would put the coupe at 47-48 but if I was betting I would say your 52 would be more like the cost. It looks like they will not hold back these cars to ship at once so I am hopefull, being # 1 at my dealer I will see my car earlyer than September.

klingonford

Established Member
I was initially hoping for the 47-48 range based on 40K US plus exchange. But I also heard it would be about 5% more than the 04 cobra which was about 48K here. 48K x 1.05 = $50,400. So let's say $52 to try and avoid disappointment. I hope that's a conservative number.

I was afraid delivery wouldn't be until late summer, but better to realize it now than to have false expectations. Too bad because the snow starts to fly around mid October so I would have the car in "hibernation" mode in my garage within the first couple of weeks of October. Oh well, I'll just be thankful if I get one.

I would like to keep this thread going so we all know what's happening with the GT500 across Canada. I am usually at THS, any of you others use Brad's site?

R1Lello

Established Member
klingonford said:
I am No. 9 on my dealers list in Saskatoon. They are the second largest Ford dealer in their region (Alberta and Sask) so they should be getting more than the others. In the past they have received 12 - 15 cobras and are expecting the same for the GT500. They asked for a refundable $1000 deposit to get on the list with a couple people leaving $5000. (although this doesn't give them any special advantage) In total they have close to 30 on the list, and have turned down about 40 others. 30 is probably a reasonable number since most people are big talkers until it comes time to write a cheque for $50K - $60.

What are you guys expecting for price. I am expecting about 5% over the 04 cobras. $52 ish???

My dealer also confirmed that there will be no markup over msrp, but that they won't sell to someone if they suspect they are just going to flip it for a profit.

Any indication when they will be getting delivered. July, Aug, Sept?? I hope it's not as late as Sept.

$50-$52-53 is what I'm told so it will total to $60,000 when all said and done.

95SCholar

Established Member
GT500 in Alberta

Just a question for Albertans wanting to buy the new GT500. Have any of you tried to place an order/leave a deposit with Metro Ford in Calgary? What did they tell you regarding MRSP, number of cars they will be getting, how many people on the list etc? Just trying to see if their story changes from person to person.

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Metro Ford

95SCholar, I talked to a salesman from Metro at the car show. He said that they were getting 6 cars, had a waiting list of over 60 people and that it would have an MSRP of $60,000. He told me that if I'm not on a list, there is no way I would be getting one.

Although it is a totally different thing, my buddy went to look at an SRT Magnum when they first came out. Even though you could go on the DCX website and price one out to the exact MSRP (his would have been $52,000) dealers were asking between $57 and $60,000 (after conveniently taking off the window sticker). Well 5 months later, Renfrew Dodge has them advertised for $48,500 from a $52,000 msrp.

The demand for the GT500 will die down after all of the tire kickers and big talkers don't come to the table, and my prediction is there will be GT500's around for MSRP or less.

SVT04

Established Member
klingonford said:

Saskatoon is where my white 04 coupe was brought in from. I got one of the last three 04's available in Canada.

95SCholar

Established Member
Metro Ford Info

Joe;
Here is what I am told and know. Been on the their list for 11 months. At #5 presently. Have a deposit down. Signed an agreement at MSRP +this+that+tax+whatever. Metro Ford thought they would get as many GT500 as they did '04 Cobras which was 14. Called them in early February, they still said they have no new information, no price, no delivery date, no order date.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I passed up on the "list" back last summer. The dealer here is still advising upper $50's. I would not expect any dealer to get over 10 in the first year.

Users who are viewing this thread