May Sound crazy But CURIOUS** Look pls

ORLREDFIRE

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Hi Guys, just curious, after looking at all the posts about KB/Whipple VS. Ported upper and lower--Im curious if anyone knows of any cars ou there that have cams and all the large supporting mods and still having the EATON. I bv realize the cost issues involved--but--to me its an interesting question...

I realize the physics behind the reasoning for going the KB/whipple rt but many say Tq is the key (which I agree totally) I was just wondering what would a car be like with cams and headwork , full exhaust, and all other supp mods usually found on a 10 sec whipple/KB would do.

Anyone care to guess? I would have to imagine the car would have atleast 30-40 lbs more tq than a car without the heads and cams right? If not more?? Would it be even snappier? I would have to think so no? Would easily have most likely about 560-580 rwhp but wonder what the TQ would/could be with an upper lower combo Steiggy stage 3??? HMMMM.

Interestedto hear opinions on this and if anyone has this setup. Again, I understand the efficiency and volumetrics of the equation, but the question is Is the Ported Upper an dlower combo limited still even if the heads were prted and the cams were say stage3 crowers. Thanks. Chris

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
I think that the ported blower and upper/lower combo would be limited even with ported heads and cams.

The Eaton, even when ported just simply does not pull in as much air as a larger displacement twin screw. Im sure you would see some very inpressive numbers with it, but It would not be worth doing all the engine work and keeping the roots blower IMO.
:beer:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
need a twin screw or a turbo to get a benefit with cams

btw, Stage 3 crowers will work well with turbos on pump gas. Dustin spencer of Crower told me yesterday I might want to drop the exhaust cam lift from .228 to .222 for max power but it will work fine up to about 20psi.... might lose a little power over that.............. decisions..........

$100 per exhaust cam to drop the lift

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
No way would I do cams on a Eaton car. Not even sure they are worth it on a screw car....

I had the same thoughts when I put my stroker motor in, thought the Eaton would make big numbers, boy was I wrong. I added 20 cubes and picked up virtually no HP, and very little TQ down low. The bottom line is, the Eaton can only move so much air. I think it's damn near impossible, except on a perfect day, to make over 540 or so SAE with the Eaton, without ice anyway....

VinSVT

Established Member
sambandit said:
No way would I do cams on a Eaton car. Not even sure they are worth it on a screw car....

I had the same thoughts when I put my stroker motor in, thought the Eaton would make big numbers, boy was I wrong. I added 20 cubes and picked up virtually no HP, and very little TQ down low. The bottom line is, the Eaton can only move so much air. I think it's damn near impossible, except on a perfect day, to make over 540 or so SAE with the Eaton, without ice anyway....

+1

WDW MKR

Established Member
sambandit said:

Didn't JDM make well over 540 with their cammed Eaton car?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
ok say for the sake of argument i was already going to have the heads done...

since the engine would already be apart, are they then worth it?

i guess im trying to figure out at what point the factory cams become a limiting factor. they are a mild grind and these cars run out of steam relatively quick in the rpm band, compared to an intech engine without the blower. fr500 cams make power up to and beyond 7k rpm.

Last edited:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
If you are looking at cams....

I'm sure you know you will move the RPM band upwards; losing some low end torque.

The more important thing is your fuel system will be maxed out - time for injectors, pumps, lines, wires.

Ask Postban about the pain he went though with 'Scratchy'.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I think injectors, BAP, and the wiring upgrade will support around 600rwhp. Losing low-end torque is almost a blessing with these cars. Not saying cams are then answer for anyone or everyone. Most will say to spend your money elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread