MaximumMotorsports Starter suspension box

ib_604

Established Member
I reaaaallly need to lower my 03 Cobra Vert. Been looking on here and other sites for sometime. Contacted MM and got some info. But then i contacted them again and another guy told my something totally different.

What I want to know is, Do the aftermarket Bilstein shocks differ from the stock cobra convertible shocks? I was told they are practically the same by one guy, and a couple other people have told me they are totally different. I believe the Starter Box (SBX-5) comes with the HD bilsteins and H&R Race springs (not supersport).

If these are the same, i might aswell just get the race springs and forget the shocks/struts and spend that on an IRS grip box.

pic of the package

thanks!!!

Last edited:

Bionik_P

Established Member
Believe me I was in your seat a couple weeks ago. I did tons of research and I have your answers. :rolling:

Yes, if you are going to change your springs with H&R Race springs, you will have to change out your shocks/struts to ones that are valved to match the springs. This is because you have a vert. Anyone that tells you differently is wrong.

Where the confusion comes from is the coupe world. Technically you can get away with just changing out the springs, because the valving for the shocks/struts is different on the coupes that it is for the verts. I was recommended two options for shocks/struts...both can be packaged with the starter kit that MM offers. You can keep the HD shocks/struts or if you want to get a little more aggressive you can go to the sport shocks/struts. I went with the sport shocks/struts. Besides that I'm following the red bill and getting all of the rubber out of my IRS, throwing on some FLSFCs, sticky tires, and the IRS brace. But hopefully all of this answers your questions. If you have any questions let me know.:thumbsup:

mrose75

Established Member
I did the MM Road and Track Grip box in January. I also did front and rear coil-overs. I had to get new Bilsteins out back because the stock ones didn't have a machined groove to fit the coil-overs. Also I have a coupe, so I'm not 100% sure on the difference. Hope this helps.

ib_604

Established Member
sweeeet, thank you for your info Bionk_p

i was debating doing a full coil-over conversion, but i really don't drag or race the car a whole lot. its more for fun and daily driving...

so i was thinking of going with the starter box, and also getting one of the grip boxes that replaces a lot of the rubber bushings with urethane.

what is the difference between the HD shocks and the sport ones? more stiff?

thxx

Last edited:

ib_604

Established Member
sweet, was also looking at that package...how do you like your coils?

did you notice a huge difference with the new solid steering shaft?

i was told this package is more for the front suspension, i am also looking to reduce wheel hop, so will probably go with a rear grip box aswell as the starter box.

YGOSLO said:
I did the MM Road and Track Grip box in January. I also did front and rear coil-overs. I had to get new Bilsteins out back because the stock ones didn't have a machined groove to fit the coil-overs. Also I have a coupe, so I'm not 100% sure on the difference. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
Bionik_P said:
Yes, if you are going to change your springs with H&R Race springs, you will have to change out your shocks/struts to ones that are valved to match the springs. This is because you have a vert. Anyone that tells you differently is wrong.

If you run the RACE SPRINGS on a convertible then yes, you probably would need to change out the struts/shocks. That is because H&R doesn't MAKE a race spring specific part number for the convertibles. If you buy the race springs then you'll be using the ones for a coupe.

I ran the H&R SuperSports on my stock vert Bilstein's for well over a year with no problems. If you will notice the vert SuperSports have a different part number than the coupe versions do.

If you want the slammed look by going to the race springs in a vert then spend the money and do coil-overs. I have them on my car and have no regrets.

Just my opinion...

Shannon

Bionik_P

Established Member
ib_604 said:
sweeeet, thank you for your info Bionk_p

i was debating doing a full coil-over conversion, but i really don't drag or race the car a whole lot. its more for fun and daily driving...

so i was thinking of going with the starter box, and also getting one of the grip boxes that replaces a lot of the rubber bushings with urethane.

what is the difference between the HD shocks and the sport ones? more stiff?

thxx

Yeah the Sport Valved are actually a little more "stiff" than the HD....the naming convention kind of throws you off....

nightstalker865

Established Member
so are the struts/shocks different on the 03-04 verts. I thought it was just the springs?? If they are the same parts then why would he have to upgrade them when the coupes do not?? I am not trying to start anything I am just wondering.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Different shocks on convertibles. I bought some used coupe shocks to go with my MM coil-over package. I left it near the stock ride height tho, lowering the car more than 1" takes a big toll on comfort and handling.

Bionik_P

Established Member
Cobra03 said:
Different shocks on convertibles. I bought some used coupe shocks to go with my MM coil-over package. I left it near the stock ride height tho, lowering the car more than 1" takes a big toll on comfort and handling.

Cobra03 is correct....that's what many people forget or tend to not research enough about when it comes to the Verts. Since they have different spring rates than the coupes, they also have shocks/struts that are valved to match those spring rates. The coupes can get away with just changing the springs because their shocks/struts are valved differently than the Verts.

The way to look at it, is the way SVT was looking at the intended purposes of the vert and the coupe:

Coupe: All out drag racer/auto-crossing

Vert: For those people that don't want to drag race/auto-cross but still want the power available to stomp on it when needed

ib_604

Established Member
wow, great info, thx guys.

so many people are telling me that coil overs are the best way to go, and to spend the money on those....so i am starting to really look at coil-overs....and if what everyone is saying, is true, that i will need to ditch the vert shocks/struts and get those with my coil's....

i guess this way there is no need to worry about being unsatisfied with your ride hieght, because you can always adjust it...

another question, would Koni Yellow shocks be a good way to go with coils? they have manual adjustable dampening...or are bilsteins the beset for our cars? THANK YOU Everyone!!!!

mrose75

Established Member
ib_604 said:
sweet, was also looking at that package...how do you like your coils?

did you notice a huge difference with the new solid steering shaft?

i was told this package is more for the front suspension, i am also looking to reduce wheel hop, so will probably go with a rear grip box aswell as the starter box.

I haven't messed with the coils but the ride is a little stiffer than I expected, not to bad though. It's settled nicely. It's hard to tell how much difference the steering rack is as all of that shit got changed out at once. 3 pt strut tower brace, k-member brace, coils, FLSFC, etc. The car is definately tighter and flat. For what I paid i think it's worth it. Haven't really gotten on it to see how the wheel hop is affected but I don't think it would help much in that area anyway.

Bionik_P

Established Member
lucheski said:
I understand it is less than ideal but.....What would happen if you put the HR RACE springs in with the stock vert setup?

You'll have a sh!tty ride. The springs will not be matched properly with the shocks/struts. There is no way of going cheap on this type of mod. The shocks/struts will last for a little bit before they just give out on you.

mrose75

Established Member
ib_604 said:
good stuff YGOSLO

what did it cost you in install? or did you do it your self?

Oh no!! With those bushings and stuff. Nope. I think the install was $700+. Under $800. All together, a little over $2500 for kit and install.

2003 Silver

Banned
Go coilovers and be done with it! I have MM 350 fronts and 550 rears. I don't track or race my vert and it is not my dd. The front bilsteins that come with the car are great and no need to update. Get the 2000 cobra r shocks for the rear and you are set. CC plates are a must!

I am also looking at a "grip box" as well...the $794 version.

Users who are viewing this thread