max width on 17X8

whitecobra98

Established Member
I know people have done it, but I just want to make sure its safe. I just picked up some 275/40's for the rear, and have stock 98 Cobra wheels.

ZyX2323

Established Member
It depends on the Tire Maker and Model of Tire. Nittos run really small compaired to others and not a problem at all with 275's, While some run big like GoodYear... You will be find running 275's on the Rear. Thou you really can't get a 100% vote of safety as the makers themselves don't suggest it and tires do very in size between them...

Thou personally I wouldn't run a 275 on 8's in the Front, but the Back I would get Nitto's...

ZyX2323

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I cannot speak for the F1's, but I second that opinion on the Nitto's. I used to run 275/40's on the rear of my 01 17x8's. The tire will "pooch" just a bit, but you are fine for normal driving and drag racing.

Send me a PM and I can forward you some pics of the Nitto's to give you an idea.

ZyX2323

Established Member
I haven't really heard people running a F1 on a 8... Nittos are many what you hear cause of the smaller width... They should fit and bulge out... but don't be doing any fancy cornering. If you have them, mount them and see what you think once there on the rim. If they don't look right, don't do it and most likely the guy that puts them on can give you a bit of insite too once there on.

ZyX2323

chknhwk

Know what I find really amazing? That if one brand of manufacturer will fit on an eight inch wheel but anothers won't and they can be rated the same width. Nope, that doesn't amaze me.
What amazes me is the fact that some people will say "Oh I have 275 width tires on my stock eight inch wheels so they're FAT, YO and I have great traction!"
People need to start comparing tires and see what the best is that you can afford that that manufacturer recommends for that size wheel.
Putting 'X' size tire on your wheel doesn't mean you have better foot print or traction, in some cases it might mean you have less due to the cupping effect of the tire from trying to make a tire fit that shouldn't go on that rim.

Am I the only one here that thinks that??

whitecobra98

Established Member
I agree with that, as I have the stock 245/45's on there now. I don't want to smoke the Toyo's I bought, so I snagged the 275/40's for a good price, and if I have to will get some wider rims for the rear. I am planning on some mods in the near future and would rather waste the cheaper 275's while fine tuning. I'm not interested in compromising my safety or the well-being of my ride.

mustangdan429

Established Member
whitecobra98 said:
I agree with that, as I have the stock 245/45's on there now. I don't want to smoke the Toyo's I bought, so I snagged the 275/40's for a good price, and if I have to will get some wider rims for the rear. I am planning on some mods in the near future and would rather waste the cheaper 275's while fine tuning. I'm not interested in compromising my safety or the well-being of my ride.

i bought some F1's for $50 a tire with only 2000 miles on them. i put them on my stock rim, but it was a bioch getting it on. i would say they are fine unless you are going to go racing around a circle or autoX. go for it man.

whitecobra98

Established Member
How did they fit though? Did the sidewall bow out or no? I got the same type of deal with about the same mileage, so I'm gonna try it I guess

ZyX2323

Established Member
hwkrcng, Yep, its odd that some fit well and some don't even go on...If I am not mistaken there really is no 100% standard to measure tires width and tread. As tires just very with different air pressure and weight of car, so its really left to the makers to deside when/how to messure, If you even goto Tirerack.com and look at Specs you will see the difference in tire width, Yoho 275's have a 10.7" Width while some 275's go up to a 11.2" width, but still its how the manufactor desides when to messure... As Nittos are just know for being Smaller and just able to squeeze on a smaller rim with less boldge then anyother, but still the rate there width at the same as many Goodyears, but I know for sure that Nittos don't boldge anything like anyothers... But then again, I don't know any tire maker that suggests a 275 on a 8" Rim...

ZyX2323

Last edited:

98Vobra

Established Member
hwkrcng said:
Know what I find really amazing? That if one brand of manufacturer will fit on an eight inch wheel but anothers won't and they can be rated the same width. Nope, that doesn't amaze me.
What amazes me is the fact that some people will say "Oh I have 275 width tires on my stock eight inch wheels so they're FAT, YO and I have great traction!"
People need to start comparing tires and see what the best is that you can afford that that manufacturer recommends for that size wheel.
Putting 'X' size tire on your wheel doesn't mean you have better foot print or traction, in some cases it might mean you have less due to the cupping effect of the tire from trying to make a tire fit that shouldn't go on that rim.

Am I the only one here that thinks that??

I agree :beer:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I bought some NT 555s in 275/40ZR17, and 285/40ZR17 for my girls WS.6.. On the factory 17x9 wheel, the 275s were slightly wider than the stock F1s of the same size, and the 285s are wider than the 295/45ZR18 F1s on my Lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread