max timing

astippich

Established Member
I would like to know what is the maximum amt. of timing it is safe to run on a daily driver 93octane? I'm sure this has been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I have searched numerous threads on this topic and it appears 23* in the upper RPM range is the best combination for an eaton pulley'd cobra running 93 octane. Some run more and some run less but it appears that is probably your best number for power/reliability/safety.

I am sure some of the tuners will chime in.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Each car is going to be a bit different depending on your cooling syste, power level and what heads you have will have an impact. Often times I have seen people report little to no gains from 20 to 23 deg timing. if your getting virtually no gains, why run the extra timing?

astippich

Established Member
Its has stegs newest port, 2.76+2lb, lfp he, 60lb injectors, bap, sct 2400, mid pipe, c/b, cai. My local tuner pulled the previous tune(mail order) and said it was running 23 degrees. This was with the 2.76 only, no port, inj, bap, lower, or sct2400.I'm just wondering if 23 degrees is safe for a dd.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, 23 degrees is just fine. Like others have said though, sometimes 23 dosen't necessarily make that much more power than 20-21, so it's not always needed. It is safe for 93 octane though...

smoke em

Established Member
JDM hooked me up with 22 degrees on the street and 24 when I RACE but I run the race tune alot in the summer just in case ya know.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
how much power is to be had from advancing timing from 18* to 23* then with a 2.76 upper only, current 456/470?
If those are you numbers at 18* I'm sure you can net an extra 15-20+ rwhp for sure at 23*.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Yes those are my numbers with 18* of timing, interesting.
Yeah, I'd say you'll net atleast a solid 15rwhp by bumping the timing up. Don't take my word for it though... I'm no tuner!

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Max timing depends on a whole bunch of things that there's no point in going into. But one thing I thought worth bringing up has to do with maximum-brake torque timing. Once you go past it, power starts to drop so it certainly doesn't make sense to run more than that from the performance point of view as other have noted. But it's worth pointing out that running more than MBT timing is also very bad on the engine whether you've reached the knock limit or not. Just something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread