Max HP/TQ for rebuilt T45?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I plan in putting 500ish HP/TQ to the wheels by the time spring comes. How safe is my rebuilt T45? I had them put in upgraded forks but other than that it's stock. Mated to a King Cobra (Valeo) clutch.

I assume the TQ is what will break shit.

nomoretickets

Established Member
The answer to this question is "it depends." I know thats a shit answer, but there are a lot of variables at play, as well as just dumb luck it seems.

Depending on who you ask, you will hear that the T-45 is on borrowed time when you hit 450ish to the wheels, others will say higher. I do know there are a handful of guys making 480-500 whp on a T-45, and some of them are none too kind to it either. I think part of the question is what your definition of "500ish" actually means. If "500ish" really means 450-500, then Id lean towards saying you will be ok. If you are actually talking something in the range of 500-600, then im less inclined to say its fine. Obviously, so much of this depends on how you drive it.

ForcFed93

Established Member
A big part of it will depend on your tires. Are you planning on trying to dead hook from a launch or will you be running street tires only? I wouldn't bother with the T45 if you plan on launching hard or cutting short 60' times. Under street tires that give, you'll probably be OK for a while.

FYI, it's rated for 400ft/lbs stock.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Tire matters and do not do John Force style 1st to 2nd gear burnout/hammer time runs with the car... or go for 3rd in a burnout you will break the input shaft. It will last if you go easy with the shifting... otherwise hit up the t45 source and have them build you one... few friends had them done for their coyote swaps and they are phenominal..

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the input guys.
My trans was built locally after I lost 2nd gear.
I'm planning on around 500/500 with a single 67mm setup. I'll most likely use street tries, possibly DRs. I don't beat on my cars much, more of a street prowler. I don't get on it unless I get the urge, I usually just pussyfoot around.
I say all this now, before I have 10 lbs of boost at my disposal via my right foot. :D

nomoretickets

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys.
My trans was built locally after I lost 2nd gear.
I'm planning on around 500/500 with a single 67mm setup. I'll most likely use street tries, possibly DRs. I don't beat on my cars much, more of a street prowler. I don't get on it unless I get the urge, I usually just pussyfoot around.
I say all this now, before I have 10 lbs of boost at my disposal via my right foot. :D

If you arent doing back to back passes on slicks, and you already replaced synchros and upgraded shift forks (most common failure points of T-45) I say run it and see what happens. Id also err on the side of under clutching the car rather than over clutching the car. Way easier and cheaper to replace a burnt up clutch than a blown up tranny.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Any advice on a good clutch guys? I'd like to stay away from Spec, seem to read a lot of bad reviews. But if things have improved, I'm all for it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
At about 500ft tq that clutch wont last long and neither will the trans. The tq kills a trans more than HP does. Uprade to a T56 or a tko. Youll be good at that point with a better cluctch.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm thinking T56 will be in the plans for next winter.
I need the T45 to last 1 season.

Good plan. If you can be easy on it and not dump the cluctch you might make it through the season. The king cobra really isnt made for more than 350-375ft tq. So it may start slipping with some hard stifting.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
+1 on the Spec Stage 2 or Stage 2 plus clutch. I had the full face stage 2+ in my old 97 Cobra and it was a great clutch, bites very hard when giving it the beans and it actually lasted through 3 T45s and about 10k miles of being boosted. Not one mile was a cruising mile lol.. but you get the idea. No chatter etc.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
my T45 has lasted through 5800-6200 rpm clutch dumps on 28" slicks behind my 5.4 (360rwtq). I had it built by Zak so its got upgraded shift forks, syncros, and a 26 spline input.

But I haven't taken it to the track with the blower yet but around town its takes a spirited blast through the gears just fine.

-Mark

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
Had T45 source build mine with upgraded everything with 26 spline input and it held up fine to over 600rwhp. I have hit it with nearly 20lbs of boost with a 100 shot on drag radials no problems. Never launched it over 4000 rpm though.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
If you run a spec clutch you'll be spec'ing out a rebuild real soon.

Ram powergrips are great and won't destroy the trans since they're not as aggressive. People always overclutch these things which is one reason why they blowup. Had mine rebuilt by hanlon and launched it over 20 times from 5k on a 28" et street putting down 505@wheel with no issues

2 things you need to do with the t45s

1. Get an 11 inch clutch not a 10.5, you get more holding power out of something that has a less aggressive material

2. You want flat marecl springs in between the discs(most are wavy). The faster you can get the disc off the flywheel/pressure plate the better these things shift especially at high rpm

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread