Max hp on stock pumps, KB BAP, and deka 80lbs?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Guessing?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
It depends on how rich or lean the tune is on the exact number. I would get 2 255s in there with that blower going on it to be safe. The last thing you need is a hole in a piston because you pushed the limits of the fuel system. Others may disagree with me, but I'm just telling you what I would do and have done in the past.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Just invest the coin and do a proper fuel system. The factory hat and y fitting is a joke, your pumps are already 15 years old......and even if it works perfectly at first, the likelihood of failure will always be looming on your mind. And of course none of it will be adequate for the day you decide you've had enough of junky pump gas and want to step up to E85 and really spin the blower

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Just invest the coin and do a proper fuel system. The factory hat and y fitting is a joke, your pumps are already 15 years old......and even if it works perfectly at first, the likelihood of failure will always be looming on your mind. And of course none of it will be adequate for the day you decide you've had enough of junky pump gas and want to step up to E85 and really spin the blower

This do it once. Do it right. Why risk it? Think @choate did this or something like it and had some issues. Maybe he can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
This do it once. Do it right. Why risk it? Think @choate did this or something like it and had some issues. Maybe he can chime in.

I know I know. My plans were to install a BAP and purchase a vmp 2.3. Safely. Then next year do a return system and bump the psi up and e85

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I know I know. My plans were to install a BAP and purchase a vmp 2.3. Safely. Then next year do a return system and bump the psi up and e85

I’d piece together the fuel system now. I’m betting a lot of 2.3L TVS are going to be hitting the market after some real world dyno numbers come out. I’d PM Malcom or 04 Sleeper for prices on a fuel system.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
I’d piece together the fuel system now. I’m betting a lot of 2.3L TVS are going to be hitting the market after some real world dyno numbers come out. I’d PM Malcom or 04 Sleeper for prices on a fuel system.

Yeah I was looking at the lethal budget return system. I already have a set of deka 80lbs and an sctba3000. I've been in contact with both regarding a tune didn't know they sold fuel systems

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s better to spend your hard earned money on a fuel system with good injectors that actually have good data with them. I took the approach of upgrading my fuel system first before I ever thought of budgeting for a new blower.

I know the O.P. isn’t wanting to skimp on his fuel system, but I see it so many times on here where members buy a Whipple then ask about a 175 dollar set of eBay injectors.

I would spend your money on a fuel system first, then budget for the blower. These cars need fuel under high boost. Also, go deadhead return! You won’t regret it! Having the right fuel system will make that VMP upgrade much more easier and safer to tune.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
It’s better to spend your hard earned money on a fuel system with good injectors that actually have good data with them. I took the approach of upgrading my fuel system first before I ever thought of budgeting for a new blower.

I know the O.P. isn’t wanting to skimp on his fuel system, but I see it so many times on here where members buy a Whipple then ask about a 175 dollar set of eBay injectors.

I would spend your money on a fuel system first, then budget for the blower. These cars need fuel under high boost. Also, go deadhead return! You won’t regret it! Having the right fuel system will make that VMP upgrade much more easier and safer to tune.

I ask because on vmp website with their fuel system kit which consist of 60lb injectors, BAP, and a 3000 maf states that it will be good for horsepower ranges between 550-700 rwhp. So I figured with 80 lbs and a KB BAP I could sit at 650 for about a yr and be good.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t see hitting 650 rear wheel with that setup, not on pump gas. That is a generous number of you ask me. I have a VMP 2.3 on my car with 80lb injectors and a monster fuel pump (Aeromotive Eliminator) and I figured on around 600 rwhp with my setup on pump gas. Prior to major belt slip, it made 548 rwhp at 5600 rpm.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member

Yeah. I've been out of the game for about a month. I'm now a resident of TX. You are correct. It can work and this is the exact set up I have. Power is 607/548. 3" upper and 17.7lbs of boost. I had all kinds of problems at first with this set up. 50 miles from the shop a line came off in the tank and the car sat for at least a month after that. Tune never has been 100% good either on the drivibility and I'm still not 100% confident in it and I'm afraid it's going to blow up if something else goes wrong with the fuel system. It is expensive but I bought a set of id1050s and a Fore system from 04 Sleeper. Still isn't on the car yet b/c I've been busy with moving. One lesson this whole process taught me is the #1 most important thing on a high performance car is the fuel system. You don't want to skimp out b/c it won't run at all if you blow it up or aren't getting the proper fuel.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
I don’t see hitting 650 rear wheel with that setup, not on pump gas. That is a generous number of you ask me. I have a VMP 2.3 on my car with 80lb injectors and a monster fuel pump (Aeromotive Eliminator) and I figured on around 600 rwhp with my setup on pump gas. Prior to major belt slip, it made 548 rwhp at 5600 rpm.

How much boost?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
How much boost?

My stock throttle body is holding me back from holding 20psi. It seems to be around 18 to 19 psi. I just have a boost overlay gauge on the stock gauge. I haven’t got around to installing my Autometer gauge. It should make 20psi consistently when I eventually swap the throttle body out.

blownfox

Established Member
I agree with SVTdreamin04 that 700RWHP is a generous number. I had the VMP fuel upgrade on my car and it made 570rwhp and 550tq (on a dyno) on a 3.0 pulley (15psi). I did upgrade the elbow and TB to the GT500 and my car has long tubes. I believe with a better tuner (i didn't use Malcolm or Kevin that was my 1st mistake) and a 2.8 pulley it could of made 600-625.

I'm now in the process of installing a Fore return system. I order everything from Malcolm (TVS, ID1050, and fore level 2 system) and very happy with his customer service/support.

Find a good tuner and work out a game plan.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
You guys are all correct and that would be the best way to handle if time and money were no concern. I do all my work myself and I honestly don't have the time or the means to drop a tank at this moment. So back to the question, with a BAP, 80LB, and stock pumps what can I run safely? 550? 600? I appreciate everyone's input and when my son is in school next year the fuel system will be upgraded for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread