Max horsepower safely on 93

nxhappy

Established Member
hell if you want some power without race gas, get a nitrous kit spray 100 wet shot....you'll gain at least 125 whp and the torque will be insane ...should easily get you 700-750 whp + fatty torque

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Boost pressure is nothing more than a measure of intake restriction to the amount of air you are trying to force through it. Saying "You can't use pump gas at XX PSI" is total nonsense. There are so many more factors than boost pressure that determine how safe pump gas is for your specific car.

AFR, timing, IAT's, plug choice, powerband/cylinder pressure... all of that is much more important. A motor that brings torque in early and hard sees sky high cylinder pressures and will detonate on pump gas much easier than something that makes a lot of peak power given everything else equal.

nxhappy

Established Member
Boost pressure is nothing more than a measure of intake restriction to the amount of air you are trying to force through it. Saying "You can't use pump gas at XX PSI" is total nonsense. There are so many more factors than boost pressure that determine how safe pump gas is for your specific car.
sure, every car is different. We are talking about the GT500.

ask any tuner, they will tell you 18 is the max for 93 .

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
sure, every car is different. We are talking about the GT500.

ask any tuner, they will tell you 18 is the max for 93 .

18 pounds from a stock blower on a stock car is different than 18 pounds from a stock blower on a cam/header car, is different from 18 pounds from a Whipple, is different from 18 pounds from a PTE Pro Mod 88.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
if you want to run the 10% lower you really need race gas or e85
This also what I was wondering but kind of figured and just wanted to make sure. Probably gonna stick with a port and the ITs not to sure about cams tho.

nxhappy

Established Member
This also what I was wondering but kind of figured and just wanted to make sure. Probably gonna stick with a port and the ITs not to sure about cams tho.
talk to vmp, they will steer you in the right direction

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Also this may be off topic, and might need to make a new thread for this BUT, for those who have sent there blowers off to be ported either to BPS or whoever.. (Maybe I'm worrying for no reason) but I read somewhere that a member sent there blower in and during shipping somthing with the snout getting pressed in. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing this is what has kept me from shipping it off 0.

nxhappy

Established Member
just gotta bubble wrap the shit out of it LOL. they do/will play basketball with your box !

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
650ish whp on 93 with ALL supporting mods. Heat will kill your motor so if your trying to accomplish this, always be prepared financially to build that motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Also this may be off topic, and might need to make a new thread for this BUT, for those who have sent there blowers off to be ported either to BPS or whoever.. (Maybe I'm worrying for no reason) but I read somewhere that a member sent there blower in and during shipping somthing with the snout getting pressed in. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing this is what has kept me from shipping it off.
It's pretty easy to separate the rotors and just send the case. A hell of a lot cheaper to ship too, because the case alone is not that heavy. Anyone that ports blowers can walk you through this procedure.

paluka21

Established Member
I'm in agreement with many others. If you're willing to take a risk and add boost to the motor on 93 octane, be prepared financially for a failure. All it takes is one bad tank of gas and a hard pull, and your motor could be toast.
In my opinion, the motor should last longer if you install supporting modifications to help it breath, rather than throwing boost at it. Open up the intake and exhaust (which may actually lower your boost reading as boost is essentially a measure of back-pressure), and if that isn't enough focus on light weight parts such as battery, wheels, or brakes to help lighten the car up.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It took me a long time to wrap my head around the idea of using race gas. It seemed like a hassle and waste of money, right up until I torched a couple pistons and was into my engine $10,000 to get it back together and get a safer tune up in the car. Race gas didn't seem so expensive after that. Once I realized that I hardly ever drive the car on the street, and that I will never drive it far enough on the street to need to refuel, race gas was a no brainer. $200 or whatever a tank every now and then is a hell of a lot cheaper than having a motor come apart, and you can open up the tuning window and make way more power consistently.

Don't take this the wrong way OP, but anyone asking what power numbers they can push to on pump gas is going to get burned sooner or later. I've been there, done that, got the T shirt. If you drive the car often just get two tune ups so you can dump in the good stuff when you want to have fun.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The problem is that you are relying on things you have no control over to be safe.

Your hoping "bubba the tanker driver" wasn't in a hurry and dropped 87 in the 93 tank.

Your hoping the substitute driver for a hung over bubba didn't drop 87 in the 93 tank.

Your hoping the tank doesn't have water in it.

Your hoping the station has enough demand to keep the 93 fresh ALL THE TIME.

builttodrive

Established Member
I personally lost two engines at around 640 RWHP on 91 with about 16 PSI. The car had an upgraded heat exchanger with fans, a very rich AFR, and burnt cylinders 7 and 8 twice. I know of others locally that have had the same thing happen to them at similar power levels. Most including myself have switched to E85 and are no longer having trouble. Just sharing what I went through.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive thought about this a lot. Im now in AZ and its still 91 for premium, though its not that shit blend of fuel from CA.

My next Trinity TVS will be using a 2.5" pulley and stock lower. I can handle not having THE fastest GT500 out there, but I dont want the hassle of E85 and I cant afford race fuel all the time. Plan is if I want to take my car to the safe limit on stock internals, Ill add nitrous like NX Happy recommends. Much cheaper than race gas in the long run, only adds power when you want it to, and doesnt make a mess of your engine oil like E85. The return on investment for nitrous is huge and you can dial in how much extra power you want during your hit with the jets.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Forgot to add, for track days when I know Ill repeatedly be doing max power hits, filling the tank with 3-4 gallons of race fuel and then filling with Chevron, Mobil or Shell 91 Premium is a safe way to ensure your fuel doesnt cause you problems. This is for a 91-93 octane tune.

Filling with Chevron, Shell or Mobil normally is the best way to ensure you get at least 91 or 93 for non track duty.

07-10 owners should really consider getting knock detection like the J&S to help keep tabs on detonation.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/VampirePage/Vampire.html

builttodrive

Established Member
Ive thought about this a lot. Im now in AZ and its still 91 for premium, though its not that shit blend of fuel from CA.

My next Trinity TVS will be using a 2.5" pulley and stock lower. I can handle not having THE fastest GT500 out there, but I dont want the hassle of E85 and I cant afford race fuel all the time. Plan is if I want to take my car to the safe limit on stock internals, Ill add nitrous like NX Happy recommends. Much cheaper than race gas in the long run, only adds power when you want it to, and doesnt make a mess of your engine oil like E85. The return on investment for nitrous is huge and you can dial in how much extra power you want during your hit with the jets.

I had no previous experience before switching to E85 but having ran it now for almost 3 years its super simple and not as complicated as people like to make it out to be. There are things to know about it but its not rocket sience. I have spoke with a few experts in the oil field including a forum member with knowledge (Unleashed beast ) and he had told me that oil testing with E85 on these shelby 5.4, 5.8 engines had no issues. Not that other engines don't have issues but it sounds like the design of these engines and their injection systems handle it well.

Users who are viewing this thread