Max Compression and MAX Boost??

Bonestk87

Established Member
1st question:

Any Idea the the maximum compression ratio I can run on my Built 5.4 and get away with a good tune on 93 oct gas. Right now it is going to be 9:15.1 static with a .036 gasket. Is that too much?

2nd question:

How big of lower pulley can I run to put the stock Eaton at maximum efficiency? Do I even need to mess with a upper pulley? It will be a built motor, stage 3 heads, longtube exhaust, no cats, MPH blower cams, cold air, stage 6 Stiegmier Eaton, SBTB, Ported lower intake and Plenum.

Thanks for your input,
Jeremy

fruhdaddy

Established Member
who is building the motor? I know alot of big hp trucks running 9:1 with no issues. For the blower, leave the upper alone and a 10lb lower is about the max on an Eaton. Also Im sure you have fuel upgrades coming. you should look into an Magnum Powers blower (cheaper than KB or Whipple) if you have a little budget to play with. But with mods/pulley over 8lb'r, I would look into some good cooling upgrades i.e bigger i/c tank, jabsco pump, bigger i/c lines, killer chiller

Bonestk87

Established Member
who is building the motor? I know alot of big hp trucks running 9:1 with no issues. For the blower, leave the upper alone and a 10lb lower is about the max on an Eaton. Also Im sure you have fuel upgrades coming. you should look into an Magnum Powers blower (cheaper than KB or Whipple) if you have a little budget to play with. But with mods/pulley over 8lb'r, I would look into some good cooling upgrades i.e bigger i/c tank, jabsco pump, bigger i/c lines, killer chiller

I will be assembling the engine myself. My local machine shop guy will be doing all the machine work. He's been doing it for a very long time and he is damn good. I trust him with it. He told me 9:12.1 would be fine. I just wanted to know what some of y'all are running on your built motors.

I'm still researching my fuel system. I have 60lb injectors already. I just have to figure out if they make some kind of aftermarket hat for the stock tank or am I going to have to sump the stock tank or just buy a fuel cell (which I don't want to do.)

Kicking around the idea of just having Steigmeier just doing their full kill upgrade to my Eaton. They have already done their stage6 port job on it. If not I'm just going to run what I have and save my money for the 3.4 Whipple.

I will probably put a 8 lb pulley on and leave the upper alone like you said. I'm buying the Metco blower balancer and want to buy just 1 ring.

I already have LFP Megatank, Jabsco pump, Afco duel pass H/E and the bigger line upgrades. I have also done the cooling mod on my intake manifold back off #8.

fruhdaddy

Established Member
seems like you got a good amount already done. What full upgrade to the Eaton you talking about? Dont waste your money on the cooler mod or lightened rotors. Total waste of money and it dont work. Magnum powers runs about 1400 and can take you into the 10s. The 60s might work but you will eventually need 80s and nobody makes fuel hats for us anymore to my knowledge, most ppl who have them arent gonna let them go. Dual 255 pumps will take you pretty far

Bonestk87

Established Member
The Snake Bit upgrade. I guess the change the gears out inside the eaton. They claim 100+rwhp gains. Probably send my lower intake up there also and let them port it on out.

So the dual walbros will take me how far? stock lines and rails? That really sucks about the hats.

These LS trash talking b#%^}s and their trucks are really starting to get under my skin.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I run 10:1 compression on mine. Street/pump gas I pulley it for about 19#s. But I won't "play" with this setup unless I supplement octane. The higher compression has shown gains at the track and feels better out of boost than the previous 8.8 compression build. If you pulley up the Eaton whether using the internal gears or external pullies it will run HOT! So be careful.(I would not pay for the Snakebite treatment if you are swapping pullies anyway)

Jim

Bonestk87

Established Member
Damn I hate that it's going to run hot! Well I guess I will just run a 8lb pulley and put a little Meth or spray on it then I will just have to save up for the Whipple and be done with it.

10.1 would be a little to much for me. Who done your motor and what internals are you running?

Thanks

Dusten

Established Member
I'm running 9.3:1. I made about 475hp on a ported Eaton, 2.8 upper and 6lb lower. Built motor and supporting mods. I had to.upgrade my interxooler pump, IC reservoir and lines to keep temps in check

Dusten

Established Member
There are other porters than steg with same gains and better service. Steg is a douchebag

Bonestk87

Established Member
Are y'all running the factory IC reservoir with the aftermarket reservoir combined?

I shipped my Eaton to Steg on a Friday. They had it Monday and I had it back that Friday. 5 day turnaround is pretty damn good. Now I have not run it yet so I can't tell yall anything about numbers. The quality looks good on the port work. But of course theres not just a whole hellava lot to a Eaton either.

Any idea on the highest HP/TQ #'s people are making with a ported eaton and supporting mods? 550 rwhp possible with a Eaton?

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Are y'all running the factory IC reservoir with the aftermarket reservoir combined?

I shipped my Eaton to Steg on a Friday. They had it Monday and I had it back that Friday. 5 day turnaround is pretty damn good. Now I have not run it yet so I can't tell yall anything about numbers. The quality looks good on the port work. But of course theres not just a whole hellava lot to a Eaton either.

Any idea on the highest HP/TQ #'s people are making with a ported eaton and supporting mods? 550 rwhp possible with a Eaton?

No, I am not running both reservoirs. The aftermarket is over 2 gallons.

Steg's products tend to work, but he markets bullshit, has the worst customer service imaginable, and basically thinks his shit doesn't stink.

I made 475 with a Ported Eaton on my built motor. I could have hit 500 with more boost.

I also trapped 115-116 on a starter tune

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on snakebite or Steggy...pass.

The eaton ported is better on dissipating heat way better than one that is not ported. so that will help out your goals alittle. I would stick to the 8 or 10, why not try them both to see what you like or prefer. I know stock block, home port eaton, other mods, 8lb lower, i made 451rwhp. If built and built right, i def would shoot for a 9:5.1 or 10. With the higher compression, you'll make more rwhp on the same about of boost. I would def have a safe tune and track tune, for track tune it would have higher octane for it.
Def bump up the resevoir and intercooler lines.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Port the Eaton yourself it's not hard to do at all and save the money for a twin screw. Build your own fuel system and save another wad of cash. Search this and the how to sections and you'll get a lot of ideas.

I recommend taking the CR to 9.5:1 and make sure it's tuned properly by someone who KNOWS how to tune a built truck, this is the area where you really need to do your homework, read, read, read and make phone calls before letting some idiot cost you another 2-3K by blowing it up. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread