Maurader Engine

Bracketbomber

Established Member
Marauder engine

Actually, they are one and the same engine. Ford seemed to think that just because there is an automatic behind it, there was no reason to give the customer quality pieces.:shrug:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Uhmm, actually, the only reason why the Cobra got forged pistons and crank was because they S/Ced it. Which is also the reason for the Iron block. But no Marauders were made available from the factory w/a S/Ced engine just as Mach I's aren't.

Sapperstang

Established Member
So the Mach and Marauder engine are the same from intake to oil pan? I thought there were differences.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by Sapperstang
So the Mach and Marauder engine are the same from intake to oil pan? I thought there were differences.

As far as I know, there might be some minor differences, but for the most part, they're the same. I believe both the cylinder heads and the blocks are the same, as well as the connecting rods, and the crankshafts. I'm not sure about the camshafts though. They might be different. I'm not sure about the pistons either. I know that the Marauder has hyperuetectic pistons, but I dunno if the Mach 1 does.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Hey Jim, are you related to a Marine Col up thats from up that way? I figure there can't be to many of yous guys

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by BillyGman
Uhmm, actually, the only reason why the Cobra got forged pistons and crank was because they S/Ced it. Which is also the reason for the Iron block. But no Marauders were made available from the factory w/a S/Ced engine just as Mach I's aren't.

Ford didn't put a forged steel crank in the Marauder because it has an automatic trans, just like all automatic Mach1's that got iron cranks. 99-01 Cobras and manual Mach1's all got forged cranks and they're not blown.

SnakedMark8

Established Member
All the Cobra cranks are forged from the first in 96. You are correct that the autos didn't get the good cranks though. But you can look at it this way, those cranks are heavier than the cast steel ones. Also I haven't heard of someone breaking one of those cast steel or GT cranks. If they have, it's very few.

The only difference between the Marauder and Mach engine is the intake is turned around facing the drivers side on the MM. Besides the crank for manual trans cars.

Another thing to remember is that they don't have the good or for better wording, better Cobra powdered rods either. All the DOHCs now use the cheaper 2V rods. Another way Ford cut costs.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I have not gotten the manuel on this car yet, is the fireing order the same?? I may be thinking of the lincoln mrk 8 that was significantly different. Also I thought the cams were different.

SnakedMark8

Established Member
The firing orders are the same for all the 4.6s. You might be thinking of the type of ignition, they use what's called a waste spark system. Meaning 2 plugs are fired at the same time. One on exhaust (the lesser energy) and one on compression (most of the energy). It works on resistance.

No the cams are all the same for the newer 4V.

F1APro

Sapperstang said:

The Automatic Mach 1 motor is the same as the Marauder, except the upper intake is reversed, the Standard Mach 1 has a better crank shaft other than that they are the same, both Mach 1 engines have a passenger side cooling tube out of the passenger head the Marauder does not.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
BlueStripe said:
Ford didn't put a forged steel crank in the Marauder because it has an automatic trans, just like all automatic Mach1's that got iron cranks. 99-01 Cobras and manual Mach1's all got forged cranks and they're not blown.
beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread