Matterport - 3D Virtual Tour

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I met someone this past weekend who works with realtors and provides 3D Virtual Tours. He told me he does it in his free time but is able to make about $5,000 every month with minimal work.

He told me to look up "Matterport" for more info. I looked into it a bit this weekend and am now intrigued. I live in Long Beach, CA and I am very close to areas/homes that would benefit from this service.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge doing this type or work? Any thoughts or input?

quad

Established Member
That sounds like a good deal. The cameras are expensive but $5000 per month makes it worth it.

I have not used one but have worked on projects that utilized Matterport virtual tours. It's pretty cool.

There's a tutorial online that enables you to download Matterport tours from their website to your computer for offline viewing / archiving. It's a bit technical and requires a web server on your computer and also Python. I fiddled with it for a few hours and after a few issues eventually managed to download the tour I was working on.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
interesting, would like to know how many hours/month they consider to be "minimal work"

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
interesting, would like to know how many hours/month they consider to be "minimal work"

Same.....we didn't have a chance to speak more so I could ask more questions. My guess would be he spends more time than he let's on. I am just starting to look at rates and it seems like the average rate is about $0.10-$0.15 per sq ft. I am reaching out to a few companies and requesting quotes to get an idea of what they charge for the service.

Another thing to note is that there is a subscription fee for the service that is required. I also see you can get the camera for $1,750-$2,000 in New condition if you wait for a deal to come along.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Same.....we didn't have a chance to speak more so I could ask more questions. My guess would be he spends more time than he let's on. I am just starting to look at rates and it seems like the average rate is about $0.10-$0.15 per sq ft. I am reaching out to a few companies and requesting quotes to get an idea of what they charge for the service.

Another thing to note is that there is a subscription fee for the service that is required. I also see you can get the camera for $1,750-$2,000 in New condition if you wait for a deal to come along.
ya let us know what ya find out. to make 5k a month is 33-50k sq ft, that's a lot of 2k sq ft houses a month

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
ya let us know what ya find out. to make 5k a month is 33-50k sq ft, that's a lot of 2k sq ft houses a month
Yeah that's what I am thinking. He did mention that a few big jobs like new apartment buildings, offices, or schools is where the big money is. He told me he made just under $60k last year, but I am not sure how many jobs it took him to get to that number.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If it sounds too good to be true...lol

But hey, if I can make another $5k on my spare time each month, I'll buy 15 cameras, and have a fleet of high school kids working for me. Would pay out about $10k a month and net $65k...

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I am a Realtor and some agents in my office use that. It's a good gig I suppose. I personally don't use matterhorn. I use a Canon T7i with a Zhiyun Crane gimbal and do walk through videos. I also do my own drone videos with FAA Part 107.

Photographers and drone pilots make serious money and I got tired of paying it and do it myself now.

End of 2020, my expenses on photographer's, videos and drone vids was nearly $15k for my team. That's why I chose to start doing my own.

Theres no doubt you'll make good money doing that gig. I say go for it. I'm just a super tight wad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I am a Realtor and some agents in my office use that. It's a good gig I suppose. I personally don't use matterhorn. I use a Canon T7i with a Zhiyun Crane gimbal and do walk through videos. I also do my own drone videos with FAA Part 107.

Photographers and drone pilots make serious money and I got tired of paying it and do it myself now.

End of 2020, my expenses on photographer's, videos and drone vids was nearly $25k for my team. That's why I chose to start doing my own.

Theres no doubt you'll make good money doing that gig. I say go for it. I'm just a super tight wad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks for the input!

I am actually in the process of getting my real estate license. It is absurdly cheap and easy to do, so I figured it can only be a benefit especially since I plan on getting rental properties in the future.

I am also reading elsewhere that the guys who do make good money doing this type of work are also doing the photography and drone footage as you said. The 3D tour is more of an add-on for them, but the real money is the photography and drone footage.

Users who are viewing this thread