Matte Black Stripe Maintenance

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Just curious to any of you out there with the matte black stripes, how you care for them.

I can't imagine just ignoring them (no protectant, wax, etc) is a good way to go. I just this past weekend put some Turtle Wax "Ice" on a small portion of the stripe on the lower front end to see how it reacts but was curious if anyone else has a tried and tested way to keep them like new without destroying the factory look (ie making them shine).

svt 500

Established Member
I use Ice on the stripes and on the black parts around the bottom of the car. It soaks right in and does a nice job. The first few times you wash the car afterwards, you may see some streaking from where you put it on the stripes but it will wipe off. This is the type I use and it will make the stripes shine but after you wipe it off and everything dries they will go back to the matte look. http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-...qid=1376929746&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+wax+ice

Last edited:

tw0scoops

Established Member
Wrote Meguiars, they said you shouldn't use their Tech Wax on the stripes, wax around them, then use their quick wax on the stripes(which is safe to use on matt vinyl)

I think Zaino said you could use their wax on stripes, however it will give it a slight gloss look.

I tried using my Tech Wax on a small section in the rear bumper. Does give it a slight glossy look. But it's very slight. Not sure what long term use of the wax over the years will do.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. That's the exact kind I just put on mine SVT. I'm more or less concerned about them losing the matte look over a few years of use but I guess I'd rather them start shining a little than fading.

Frostbit3

Established Member
Adams has an entire video on YouTube about it and shows demonstrations with each product. I personally use their vrt and brilliant glaze from the video looks awesome.

YouTube

verbal

Established Member
Chemical Guys sells at matte detail spray. I just bought it but have not had a chance to use it yet.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Any vinyl protectant should work just fine. You can even use 303 Aerospace - it's water based, won't gloss up the stripes and has an SPF to prevent sun fade.

Users who are viewing this thread