Master cylinder reservoir leak?

Noreast

Established Member
Few months back while wiping down my engine bay I notice this small pool of brake fluid around the lip of the reservoir. No biggie, just wiped it off and away I went. Well today again I was cleaning the engine bay ( little OCD ) and noticed that small spot of fluid again. what would cause this? Could the Seam be bad on the reservoir or maybe it's just a little over filled? No signs of it dripping any where just stays on the lip. I know it's not a big problem but I just want to see opinions.
8BA3B5B1-57C8-4AC4-B8BF-D252E3738F7F_zpsxesfvwsm.jpg

B0E66E35-44B9-4421-8D5F-48D364D6EEB1_zpsqqhzo6tr.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
The reservoir is cracked.

When first installing my Whipple on my OW car I leaned against the master cylinder. I heard a pop/crack and immediately got off the reservoir. I didn't notice anything right away but over time I would pop the hood and notice brake fluid in the same spot.

My car is a sub 10k mile car so I went about trying to find a reservoir that was worthy of being on my low mileage car. The reservoir is discontinued and NOS ones are impossible to find. If you look on ebay sometimes you'll see people selling rebuilt/remanned master cylinders with reservoirs that look just like the original so that might be worth a try, but be careful as some remanufactured/auto part store master cylinders had different reservoirs that look nothing like the original and might not interchange.

I bought one that was supposed to be NOS from a large Ford parts warehouse, it showed up in a ziplock bag and the reservoir was yellowed. I was able to bleach the reservoir back white but there is one yellow stain that wouldn't come out that bugs me. I actually got lucky and found a new one in the Ford box that I need to put on, now that I'm thinking about it I'm pissed I didn't do it why the motor was out because you get brake fluid everywhere when you swap them lol.

Its been a while since I was looking for one but I believe Mach 1, GT's and Cobra's all interchange but V6's are different. If you aren't picky and just want to get the car fixed it won't be bad but if you want your car to be perfect as most CO owners do then you have some searching to do.

Last edited:

Noreast

Established Member
Well that really sucks lol Yeahh I'm super picky ..... Cars almost at 13k miles and I noticed it when it had like 11,8xx so like you, I want everything 100%. Would you think it is ok to drive like that until I find another? I'll be looking now since I have a shoulder injury and can't drive it for at least another month lol thanks I appreciate the help.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I could be a cracked reservoir but it may have come out of the vent. I would bleed the brakes to get fresh fluid into the system and be careful not to overfill it. The fluid will expand when over heated do to hard driving. Try that first, good luck

cj428mach

Established Member
Well that really sucks lol Yeahh I'm super picky ..... Cars almost at 13k miles and I noticed it when it had like 11,8xx so like you, I want everything 100%. Would you think it is ok to drive like that until I find another? I'll be looking now since I have a shoulder injury and can't drive it for at least another month lol thanks I appreciate the help.

You will be fine to drive it but it leaks.

This is your lucky day. I'm half tempted to buy this myself, if you don't but it let me know I'm going to nab it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Mu...4-6-/271925446182?hash=item3f50050626&vxp=mtr

Noreast

Established Member
You will be fine to drive it but it leaks.

This is your lucky day. I'm half tempted to buy this myself, if you don't but it let me know I'm going to nab it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Mu...4-6-/271925446182?hash=item3f50050626&vxp=mtr

Thanks a ton! I wound up grabbing it but if I don't wind up needing it I'll let you know first in case you want it. Thanks everyone I'm going to keep an eye on it for now and if it keeps happening than I'll know for sure that it was cracked.

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks a ton! I wound up grabbing it but if I don't wind up needing it I'll let you know first in case you want it. Thanks everyone I'm going to keep an eye on it for now and if it keeps happening than I'll know for sure that it was cracked.

I spent months trying to find a new one lol funny how that works.

The reservoirs just push in. When you go to remove the old one just stick a screwdriver/prybar between the reservoir and the master cylinder and pry up. Then you'll have to swap over the rubber seals which as far as I know aren't available anywhere so be careful swapping them. Then lube up the seals with brake fluid and push the new reservoir back in.

You don't have to bleed the brakes or anything so that part is nice, it just makes a hell of a mess.

Noreast

Established Member
Awesome that was my next question lol and really don't have to bleed them?? That makes it much easier lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Awesome that was my next question lol and really don't have to bleed them?? That makes it much easier lol

Nope, when you pull the reservoir you'll see that brake fluid is still sitting down in the bores of the master cylinder where the reservoir sits. As long as there is fluid no air has gotten in there so no need to bleed them.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Mine & my brothers cobra did this since day one,it's coming from the vent,just take a turkey Baster & bring the level to just over minimum.we never had A problem again!

Noreast

Established Member
Mine & my brothers cobra did this since day one,it's coming from the vent,just take a turkey Baster & bring the level to just over minimum.we never had A problem again!

I'm going to try that first before changing the reservoir out. Either way good to have a spare in case I ever need it or if I see another member who needs one! Thanks buddy! Can't wait for that captree meet lol

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
+1 The only thing I would add is to discard the fluid you removed and top it off with fresh fluid. Or, better yet, you could go ahead and flush your fluid with new. I've found that always makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread