Massive Knock

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
So I did some datalogging to get a AED Tune and in my WOT Datalog he told me it has a Massive knock
He told me use a rubber mallet and tap the exhaust to see if I hear a rattle because it can cause knock
But I did that and no rattle
He also said bad fuel can cause but I shouldn't run octane booster unless I wanna continue running it for good
Any idea's what else I can do?? Any one else had the same problem and got it resolved

KushBandit

Established Member
What fuel are you running and where do you get it?

Start with the basics, fuel being the first to check. Try octane booster or race fuel and see if the knock goes away. If it doesn't, start looking for things that can cause false knock, like tapping the exhaust as you claimed.

helloWorld

Established Member
My knock problem was fuel.

I put in some pump 100 from the local Harley Davidson and my knock went away. Now, I run E-85 full time.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
How far are you from Lucedale, MS 39452
If your close you have one of the best tuners in the next state

jmschip.com
(601) 766-9424

Don't know why if you run once you have to keep running it, I never heard that one before. I sometimes run Torco and never had any issues when I don't run it

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
What fuel are you running and where do you get it?

Start with the basics, fuel being the first to check. Try octane booster or race fuel and see if the knock goes away. If it doesn't, start looking for things that can cause false knock, like tapping the exhaust as you claimed.

I'm using 93 octane & I get it here on the Army base
& do you think using octane booster once will throw my fuel system off or will I have to continue using it? Thanks for the help

gt5.0coyote

Established Member

jmschip.com
(601) 766-9424

Don't know why if you run once you have to keep running it, I never heard that one before. I sometimes run Torco and never had any issues when I don't run it

Dude he has bout one of the best tuners.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member

jmschip.com
(601) 766-9424

Lucedale is about 6 hours away from me, I'm close to Alexandria, La
Northern Louisiana

That's what Shaun told me, not saying he was right or wrong but that was just the info he gave me

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I had the same problem. Filled with 92 octane at a 76 (we don't have 93 here) and he was getting knock at WOT causing a decent amount of pulled timing. He went and filled it with Shell and like magic. No more knock. I only fill with Chevron or Shell now.

Vert

Established Member
Why don't you run octane booster like torco and see if your knock goes away by datalogging. If it's gone, then it's your gas, if not it's more than likely false knock and you'll need to locate it.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I had the same problem. Filled with 92 octane at a 76 (we don't have 93 here) and he was getting knock at WOT causing a decent amount of pulled timing. He went and filled it with Shell and like magic. No more knock. I only fill with Chevron or Shell now.

I'll definitely have to try that because I have just been using the gas at the gas station that's on the military base and I'm more than sure it's cheap gas

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Why don't you run octane booster like torco and see if your knock goes away by datalogging. If it's gone, then it's your gas, if not it's more than likely false knock and you'll need to locate it.

Shaun told me not to use it unless I wanna continue using it
That was just the advice he gave me so that's why I didn't use it

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Right, I think he was saying to use it, datalog it yourself to see if the knock goes away without involving Shaun. If the knock goes away then its the gas. Get different/better gas and have it tuned. If it doesn't go away you have a different problem to fix.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Well, if you use it to fix the problem, then quit using it, you are back to your original problem

I was saying if he just got bad gas, it would be ok to use it to see if it is a gas issue. I agree with others make sure he uses good gas, gas on a military base prob not the best to use of a performance car

Bgoins

Established Member

Why wouldn't you do this? Cheap, easy and harmless

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Dude he has bout one of the best tuners.

I know AED is a awesome tuner, but they are in California, I just saw he was in the next state, and if there is a awesome tuner close to him, it would be a viable option. I bet even AED can do a better job if they actually have the car to work on, rather than by email

jn2

Established Member
Why wouldn't you do this? Cheap, easy and harmless

What I think he means is it would only bandaid the issue. He could of added octane booster just to see if it was fuel related, but if they tuned using the octane booster he would need to continue running the booster because thats what his tune was calibrated for. If he were to stop using the booster then the car would go back to showing registering KR.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I know AED is a awesome tuner, but they are in California, I just saw he was in the next state, and if there is a awesome tuner close to him, it would be a viable option. I bet even AED can do a better job if they actually have the car to work on, rather than by email

Not saying anything bad about the guy you are referring me to its just I know about AED and his reputation
I know I'll get a great tune from him

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread