Massive Coolant Leak

jurazov

Hey guys, it's my first time asking a question on here and I could really use some expert advice! I have a 99' Mustang GT, the car has less than 80,000miles.

Anyways, 4 months ago my intake manifold cracked and I had it replaced with one that has the aluminum crossover to avoid that issue in the future. But just today as I arrived at my house and shut the car off I could hear bubbling and hissing, so I popped the hood and I have coolant all over my engine bay. It seems to be leaking from my radiator cap, there's a massive puddle under the car as well. When I had my intake manifold replaced the mechanic advised me to change my water pump in the near future and I never did :shrug:, any ideas about what my issue is?? Water pump, rad cap or something else? Thanks guys, I wanna get my baby back on the road asap! I appreciate any input.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Could be the water pump, radiator cap, or thermostat. Take the thermostat off the car, and put it in some water. Heat it up until the thermostat opens. Measure the water temp to see if it's opening when it should. Try and see if you can see the water pump pushing water through the system (preferably without the thermostat in).

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
If your water pump is bad should be leaking from the tell tale. Small hole towards the base of the pump. Check your hose connections, are your coolant hoses hot/cold-hard/soft.
If system is over pressuring the rad cap is built to let off pressure, you can test the cap and see if its good or bad, but it can still be good and just stopping the system from building too much pressure showing your problem is else where. If not clue at all, take a hose and wash it off let it dry and run it and watch were its dripping.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant_leaks.htm might help you

Users who are viewing this thread