Mass Production before official power numbers released?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I noticed the 2016 GT350 price listing has a gas guzzler tax of $1300. That tells me EPA certification is complete even if they aren't releasing it. THis also tells me the calibration is set and the horsepower is known. We know at 5.2 liters it will be at least 520 horsepower because Ford will be sure to hit the magic 100 hp / liter mark.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
chevy really only has one option for the the 2016-2017 Z???. the lt4. if they build it it will proabably outperform the gt350 just based on 650hp>520 but the body style looks like turds to me so far.

I don't know about the next Z28/ZL1 having 650HP, but in light of GM dropping 200 pounds out of all Camaros, if the HP is anywhere near what the GT350 has and they have the suspension dialed in, the next Camaro Z cars will more than likely whip up on the GT350. I hate to admit it, but it's probably true. If the first two numbers of the GT350's weight aren't "35", I'm not to hopeful of the GT350 being able to fend off its Camaro rival.

random thought...they mentioned special VIN. I wonder if the '15s will be sold through Shelby or in a manner that doesn't require the emissions testing?

Off-road only cars, maybe? So those 137 '15 GT350s will be for the track only. It's a thought. I have all kinds of speculative thoughts on those cars.

I noticed the 2016 GT350 price listing has a gas guzzler tax of $1300. That tells me EPA certification is complete even if they aren't releasing it. THis also tells me the calibration is set and the horsepower is known. We know at 5.2 liters it will be at least 520 horsepower because Ford will be sure to hit the magic 100 hp / liter mark.

This makes sense. How can they tack on a gas guzzler tax if it hasn't even been certified yet? That tax is a government mandate based on certification. They can't just arbitrarily decide to put a tax on the car based on projected fuel economy. Ford may have graciously asked SAE to delay publishing the certification for whatever reason; probably awaiting Camaro Z numbers so they can go back and tweak the 5.2 as much as they can.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Their is no Z model until at least MY '17. Ford did the same with the S550. Roll out base cars with special models coming later. Ford didn't respond to the Z/28 for 2 years. GM will most likely do the same.

assasyn

Established Member
FWIW Whomever runs the @fordperformance Instagram account today responded back to me and said "no official numbers ready, we just know it 500+HP/400+TQ"

Nothing new.

Users who are viewing this thread