mass air (inside!)

cobra331

Established Member
Has anyone ever seen the inside of a mass air meter? My 70mm stock Cobra MAF blew so I took it apart to see what happened. I took some pics of the inside and I'll post a couple here so everyone can see!! Funny how I found out it wasn't working right though. I got a check engine light on and off randomly and a rough idle when it did come on. I looked underhood and got my ears close to hear anything unusual. When I got close to the air meter I heard a crackling and popping sound coming from it!! Pulled it, cleaned it, put back, still didn't work. I took the car to a mechanic with a diagnostic computer and sure enough, he got an error code for the MAF. Checked it with a multimeter and it was 0 volts while the check engine light was on!! I'm guessing if the MAF fails the computer reverts to a very vaguely defined fuel curve in the computer just to keep the car running? Anyway, I got a 75 pro-m and a PIH instead of getting another stock MAF. But here's the pics I took of the electronis piece torn apart!!! Enjoy!!!

cobra331

Established Member
Look close

If you look real close you might be able to see the gel that the electronics are coated in. There is a thick layer of gel that stays together almost like a very weak rubber. weird stuff!!!

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Well except for the gold cover looks normal to me. The "gel" is there to keep moisture from getting on it. As with any car you will get moisture build up, somewhat, inside.

Users who are viewing this thread