Marsoc

Red3

Established Member
So I just found out that I have been flagged to go to MARSOC screening. I don't really want to go but I was wondering what some of the other military guys think I should do. I know it would help me out in the long run but I was planning on getting out after 8 which is in 3 yrs. This is long but it will give you an idea of what it is.

Q1: What is MARSOC?

R1: In October 2005, the Secretary of Defense directed the formation of a Marine Component of U. S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). It was determined that the Marine Corps would initially form a unit of approximately 2500 to serve with USSOCOM. MARSOC will reached full operational capability in October of 2008.

On February 24, 2006, MARSOC activated at Camp Lejeune, NC. MARSOC initially consisted of a small staff and the Foreign Military Training Unit (FMTU), which had been formed to conduct Foreign Internal Defense (FID). FMTU is now designated as the Marine Special Operations Advisor Group (MSOAG).

In the months after the activation of MARSOC the structure and personnel of both 1st and 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company transferred to MARSOC to form the 1st and 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalions.

MARSOC also formed the Marine Special Operations Support Group (MSOSG) and the Marine Special Operations School (MSOS). The MSOSG provides combat support and combat service support to MARSOC Units, to include: Logistics; Communication; Intelligence; and K-9 support. The MSOS Screens, Assesses, Selects, Trains, and Certifies Marine Special Operations Forces (MARSOF) and has responsibility for doctrine development.

Q2: What Does MARSOC Do?

R2: As a service component of USSOCOM, MARSOC is tasked by the Commander USSOCOM to train, organize, equip; and when directed by CDRUSSOCOM, deploy task organized, scaleable, and responsive U.S. Marine Corps special operations forces worldwide in support of combatant commanders and other agencies. MARSOC has been directed to conduct Foreign Internal Defense (FID), Direct Action (DA), and Special Reconnaissance (SR). MARSOC has also been directed to develop a capability in Unconventional Warfare (UW), Counter Terrorism (CT), and Information Operations (IO). Commander, USSOCOM assigns MARSOC missions based on USSOCOM priorities. MARSOC units then deploy under USSOCOM Deployment Orders.

Q3: What Makes MARSOF Different From Other Conventional Forces?

R3: Building MARSOF, like all special operations forces, is a combination of efforts which include selecting individuals with the required attributes, giving them advanced training, and then retaining them in the unit for an extended period of time to build experience, continuity, and relationships with other nations.

All members of MARSOC are Recruited and Screened. Marines and Sailors intended to serve as operators are then Assessed and Selected. Assessment and Selection (A&S) is an intensive 3 week testing program that determines whether or not a candidate has the attributes required to be MARSOF. MARSOF Operators must be mature, intelligent, mentally flexible, determined, and physically fit. They must be complex problem solvers who are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment. Candidates with these attributes are selected and subsequently assigned to MARSOC.

Initial members of MARSOC were screened, but joined the command without attending A&S. MARSOC conducted class 1 of A&S in the Spring of 2007. Beginning in Fall 2007, all intended MARSOF Operators entering the command must attend A&S. Marines who are assigned to 1st or 2nd MSOB as operators are already Reconnaissance Marines. They participate in specialized unit level training to prepare them to conduct assigned SOF missions.

In October 2008, all MARSOF Operators began attending the MARSOC Initial Training Course (ITC). ITC is an in-depth training program that covers the culture, technical, and tactical skills required for MARSOC’s assigned tasks. All operators will have the same baseline training and then receive further specialized training based on the unit that they are assigned to.

Q4: What Changes Are Coming For MARSOC?

R4: MARSOC has started a reorganization. The primary purpose is to better balance the capabilities of MARSOF and better balance the operator/support ratio within MARSOC to execute direct and indirect missions. The reorganization enables a long term relevant special operations force with greater self sufficiency.

Based on requirements from USSOCOM and Theater Special Operations Commands, MARSOC identified the need to have greater capacity in FID. The reorganization provides more capacity by reducing capacity in other areas.

After action reports from deployments identified a significant shortfall in the ability of an MSOC to be user-friendly and plug into a JSOTF with minimal impact. The reorganization addresses that shortfall by increasing the Combat Service Support in an MSOC. In the reorganization, MARSOC will adopt a uniform naming convention. The base unit of MARSOC will be the 14-man Marine Special Operations Team (MSOT), commanded by a Captain. All MSOTs will have the same organization.

MSOTs will be part of a Marine Special Operations Company, commanded by a Major. Each MSOC headquarters will have the same structure. All MSOCs will be elements of an MSOB, commanded by a LtCol. The uniform naming convention gives MARSOC consistent, clearly understood force modules which enable effective resourcing and joint employment.

The restructured MARSOC will be more agile, user-friendly, and relevant for the long term. It will provide operational commanders with well trained Marine Special Operations Forces that are prepared to execute the assigned missions.

So what should I do? My biggest thing is my 4 month old daughter. I am on my 3rd deployment now and wanted to relax for a couple years.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a tough decision. For me it would come down to whenther or not I could give this my full 100%. With your current plans of leaving in 3 years, and your family, and your plans for what you are going to do with your life, then you may have to consider giving this opportunity a pass.

Believe me when I say, with eight years you will have given more than your country has asked for. You're at that point right now, in my opinion.

Just to confuse it even more though, are you 100% sure you want out? Maybe this is weighing on you so much because the answer to that question is not as certain as you had thought. And if you do want to stay, this assignment would look good on your record, I'm betting.

I have not helped at all, have I?

If you are going to stay in, go for it.

If you are not going to stay in, pass.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

Jim Snover

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
so far my old unit had a "mandatory" screening and the first sergeants were surprised that many of us showed up, i think they look at our combat effectiveness, pft scores and possibly GT scores along with time left in service.
i believe for US it was a way to get us to either extend or reenlist, BUT those fat bonuses are long gone.
3 deployments? and a 4 month old, that would be a toughy, i couldnt imagine doing over 4 years.
i would do it if i had 3 years left, but since you have a kid that is a whole different story.

PuffAdder03

Speed Limit? What's That?
Established Member
Well I'm in the Army but I would have to say that any chance you get to progress in the military you should take it. Especially something in a special ops field because it's a completely different community. Think about, talk with the family, and go from there. But I will tell you that spec ops is a good place to be especially when going from a regular conventional unit.

Red3

Established Member
It's a tough decision. For me it would come down to whenther or not I could give this my full 100%. With your current plans of leaving in 3 years, and your family, and your plans for what you are going to do with your life, then you may have to consider giving this opportunity a pass.

Believe me when I say, with eight years you will have given more than your country has asked for. You're at that point right now, in my opinion.

Just to confuse it even more though, are you 100% sure you want out? Maybe this is weighing on you so much because the answer to that question is not as certain as you had thought. And if you do want to stay, this assignment would look good on your record, I'm betting.

I have not helped at all, have I?

If you are going to stay in, go for it.

If you are not going to stay in, pass.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

Jim Snover

No, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting out. If the economy is still shit when it comes that time then I may stay in. Yes, this would look good on my record. I only have 3 years left. I would have to reenlist again or extend to complete 4 yrs in MARSOC.

so far my old unit had a "mandatory" screening and the first sergeants were surprised that many of us showed up, i think they look at our combat effectiveness, pft scores and possibly GT scores along with time left in service.
i believe for US it was a way to get us to either extend or reenlist, BUT those fat bonuses are long gone.
3 deployments? and a 4 month old, that would be a toughy, i couldnt imagine doing over 4 years.
i would do it if i had 3 years left, but since you have a kid that is a whole different story.

Yea, my gunny thinks it has to do with the fact that my lowest PFT ever is a 206 and that was with a broken foot, I'm swim qual 2, green belt instructor working on my brown, GT needed is 105 and I have a 125.

Well I'm in the Army but I would have to say that any chance you get to progress in the military you should take it. Especially something in a special ops field because it's a completely different community. Think about, talk with the family, and go from there. But I will tell you that spec ops is a good place to be especially when going from a regular conventional unit.

I agree. If I was single I would have quit smoking today and started training for it. The physical aspect is no joke. Rucksack runs everyday with 45lb sacks. I know for indoc you have to swim 300 meters in cammies without boots. I have to be able to redo my swim qual and get a class 2 again but it's a modified one. Water treading goes from 5 min to 30 min. Swim qual goes from 4-1 with 1 being the highest. I think it would be equal to an airborne Ranger or a SEAL.

Right now I am leaning towards not going as I would have to reenlist or extend in order to go and they can't make me do that if I don't want to. I can always volunteer to go at a later date. Keep up the opinions though guys I still haven't turned in my paperwork.

Curtis

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm not military but I have brothers who were. 1 got out after 12ys and regreted it as he could have retired by now.

8 years I'd really have to think about it.
I know nothing of the program except what you posted i read so I'll leave with this, a few other things to think about along with what you and others posted already.

What is your current job in there and what would you go into when you get out? Will it help in the outside world because as you know and said the economy is crap and good jobs are not that easy to come by.

If you did this and re-uped for 4 more years that gives 12, would it then be worth it to stay and get your 20. It would be an option for sure if the economy/job market hasn't recovered by then.

Red3

Established Member
I'm not military but I have brothers who were. 1 got out after 12ys and regreted it as he could have retired by now.

8 years I'd really have to think about it.
I know nothing of the program except what you posted i read so I'll leave with this, a few other things to think about along with what you and others posted already.

What is your current job in there and what would you go into when you get out? Will it help in the outside world because as you know and said the economy is crap and good jobs are not that easy to come by.

If you did this and re-uped for 4 more years that gives 12, would it then be worth it to stay and get your 20. It would be an option for sure if the economy/job market hasn't recovered by then.

I am a M1A1 tank crewman. Nothing I could use when I got out. MARSOC I could use when I got out. If I got out early I would get another job with gov so I could still retire with my Marines time counting towards my retirement

hb712

Established Member
I've heard MARSOC was going away but that may have just been a rumor. It really comes down to commitment for any special operations duties. You have to do some soul searching.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I am a M1A1 tank crewman. Nothing I could use when I got out. MARSOC I could use when I got out. If I got out early I would get another job with gov so I could still retire with my Marines time counting towards my retirement

IMO, you just answered your own question. If it will help you after you leave the Corps then, all things being equal you should do it.

Red3

Established Member
Marsoc isn't going away. It just started forming in 2006.

It helping me when I got out has nothing to do with my decision. It doesn't change the fact that I would gone for who knows how much during the beginning of my daughter's life. Only way it would help me anyways would for like for SWAT, some fed job, or personal security. Which I have training for all of those as it is now.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Marsoc isn't going away. It just started forming in 2006.

It helping me when I got out has nothing to do with my decision. It doesn't change the fact that I would gone for who knows how much during the beginning of my daughter's life. Only way it would help me anyways would for like for SWAT, some fed job, or personal security. Which I have training for all of those as it is now.

well it sounds like you already made up your mind. if your family is more important to you (which is a great thing!) and this will keep you from your daughters formative years don't do it.

but the economy does suck, it won't do your family any good if you leave and can't find a job.

Users who are viewing this thread