MARK VIII SWAP HELP

PHILLY_SVT

Established Member
I got a lead on a good deal on a Mark VIII motor. My 98 motor has a bad rod bearing so I need a replacement to start from. Below is the tag on the motor. Comes with a 100 day warranty and only has 50K miles.

1993 MARK VIII; LINCOLN MARK SERIES 93-94 (4.6L, VIN V, 8th digit)

I was told by the yard that this block would not fit in my 98 cobra. I felt that it would as my current motor would serve as parts that I would need to get it to fit. Any thoughts? If you guys say it would fit without any work, I'll go pick it up today!

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member
Keep in mind that 93-95 mark viii heads used a different valve spring and seal than the 96+ Should be a direct bolt-in for the most part though.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Treat the Mark 8 motor as a long block.

Your Cobra intake will swap over and other accessories, electronics, ignition, motor mounts, emissons equipment etc.

Not sure about the Mark 8 Oil pan clearance in the Mustang K member, but I believe it should be ok.

Mark 8 had a 6 bolt flywheel, your Cobra has an 8 bolt. So budget a 6 bolt flywheel. A take off from a 4.6 GT of similar years will fit.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Mark oil pan is the same IIRC, if not then just swap them. Valvesprings are indeed different, not as good. Cams are not as good.

Get some Brian Tooley Valvesprings and then learn how to degree/advance your 96-98 intake cams and you'll have a better running engine.

Break both these engines down to just the longblock and they are 99% identical. Direct swap as far as that goes.

96GT226410

Established Member
I installed a 95 Mark VIII engine in my 98 Cobra. Like others have said, the 93 - 95 Mark VIII engines use a shittier set of valve springs. In 96 they switched to beehive springs. That block is the same that's in your Cobra now.
Here's a list of what I reused from my Cobra engine when I installed the 95 Mark VIII engine:

Complete intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, IMRC's, knock sensors, motor mounts, oil pan, oil pickup tube, oil dipstick, starter, exhaust, AC compressor and PS pump/pulley (left those in the car when I pulled the engine), oil cooler, thermostat and hoses, water pump nipple, metal coolant hose in valley, coolant fitting on the back of the passenger side head, coil packs, serpentine belt tensioner (the one on the Mark VIII engine was missing so I don't know if it would fit or not), and the alternator.
I bought a new rear main seal, pilot bearing, water pump, and a Fidanza six bolt aluminum flywheel.

I wish I swapped the heads or at least the cams. I would suggest you do that.

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Well he has a 98 Cobra engine with a spun rod bearing so literally everything will just swap over. Even the springs if he wanted... but I'd do the Brian Tooley springs and swap his 96-98 intake cams plus degree them with the Cobra engineering passenger head tensioner fix. Also the dowel pin fix is good preventative maintenance while its out. But that's easy to spend other ppl's money... I'd try to find a 96-98 engine and then just drop it right in if you are going for easy.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
That's what I would do. Would be the easiest route. No need to swap flywheel, cams, intake etc.

the 96-98 Cobra engines would be more "abused". Finding a Mark 8 engine would be a little cheaper and not as abused (automatic transmission).

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
the 96-98 Cobra engines would be more "abused". Finding a Mark 8 engine would be a little cheaper and not as abused (automatic transmission).

I guess it all depends on what you want, and the deal you find.
If you just want a cheap fix, throw an VIII engine in, swap the flywheel and oil pan and run it.
If you want the right fix, throw an VIII engine in, swap cams, flywheel, intake, IMRCs (or delete), oil pan etc etc
Or find a 96-98 Cobra and install as is.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I actually meant a 96-98 Mark VIII... beehive springs. And just deal with the weaker cams, its not super drastic on a stock tuned/stock degree although if both engines are out swapping the Cobra intake cams "dot to dot" would be pretty fast and easy with the OTC cam holder tool.

97/98 Mark is actually the one I recommend all day to ppl looking to 4V swap a GT, especially for a 96-98 GT it might as well be a direct swap. You need like... a throttle cable and an alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread