Mark VIII fan upgrade

Chris Barnes

Established Member
Has anyone on this forum replaced their factory cobra fan with a Mark VIII unit? I live in Arizona, and my factory setup is NOT cutting it in this heat with the air on. I'm installing a Flyidyne radiator and want to wire in the Mark VIII fan while I'm at it. I'm using SCT PRP software and still want to be able to control the low/high fan settings with the ecu. My biggest question is whether or not the factory Cobra relay will handle the added amperage this fan requires?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris Barnes
Phx, AZ
99 twin turbo Cobra

01 Venom

Established Member
dude do a 160 degree tstat, made a huge difference in my ride. Try that before messing around witht he fan. That and an LFP radiator I saw a 30 degree drop around town.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
mark viii fan is a wonderful unit if you can get some wiring diagrams for each and the amperage pull peak from the mark viii fan, then you could tell if you are going to have to change the relay or not....it shouldn't be too difficult. water wetter makes a big difference as well.....how hot is it getting actually? do you have an aftermarket temp gauge? all a 160 is going to do is open more quickly....but if the car just doesn't have the cooling power to keep up with it, you need to go fluidyne, electric pump, water wetter, and mark viii fan....I would not do anything else :)

01 Venom

Established Member
What a 160 does, is open your system before it becomes heat soaked. The stock 194 opens really close the system beeing just too heat soaked to cool.

Its worth the 15 bucks to put one in it helps out a ton

Chris Barnes

Established Member
Unfortunately I've tried all the above mentioned with poor results. Tried water wetter, 180 and 160 stat's. Just takes a bit longer for it to hit 210 deg now. Once sitting in traffic with the air on it's really just a matter of time. I'm using an aeroforce ODBII guage to monitor the signal to the EEC. It just keeps on climbing. I have a fluidyne radaitor mocked up now but refuse to put this thing back together/burp the system again without puting in the MarkVIII fan at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread