Mark 8 block in my cobra?

Liquidtrial

Established Member
My 97 cobra needs a new short block, it has a stretched rod. Unfortunately I am on a huge budget since I just got the car and have been trying to find poor man solutions to my dilemma and I might have lucked out.

I found a guy selling a mark 8 for 1800, the car has 200k but he is pretty sure the motor is at 80k he is currently digging up the paperwork to show the swap. He claims the car was running fine one day and he went out to start it the next and got nothing with the turn of the key. Tried a new battery and still nothing. He knows nothing about cars... so he has not touched anything else.

So does this swap work? I heard the crank might not be the same but I think that would still be less expensive than many of my other options. Also when its all said and done I can maybe get both cars running and sell the mark 8 to recoup some of my financial losses.

Ranger5.0L

Established Member
if its the dohc motor i'm pretty sure those have different bell housing patteren than your cobra.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
if its the dohc motor i'm pretty sure those have different bell housing patteren than your cobra.

I beleive that applies to the FWD continental, the Mark should have the same Teksid block as Cobras but with a cast crank.

Ranger5.0L

Established Member
I beleive that applies to the FWD continental, the Mark should have the same Teksid block as Cobras but with a cast crank.

yeah your right the dohc motor i had was fwd and the bell housing pattern was different.. good luck with the swap

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
hold off and search Craigslist or here, you are spending 1800 for a stock block and a parts pile you wont be able to get rid of. INMO it is not a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread