Marine Corps/military worth it?

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I have always thought about joining the military since I was 15 (I'm 20 now) and I have friends in the military Marine Corps more exactly that tell me its not even worth it to sign my life away. But I have this deep desire to do it even without support from friends or family. Anyone else have this same predicament? Tell me your story it is much appreciated. About my future plans I either want to do law enforcement or become a teacher / own my own business.

CPRsm

Oh, stuck in 29. That's where I got stuck, too. I HATED a lot of it. Despised it, so I did my 4 and got out. Looking back I would have done it again.

jliddle

Established Member
Military life being "worth it" depends on the person. Some people don't fit the lifestyle. Especially the Marine lifestyle.

Some people want to work civilian 9-5 jobs. Others don't.

Some don't want to be disciplined. Others do.

It all depends on the person. The way I see it is, the military offers so many opportunities that isn't available to most citizens. Why not go do it?

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I wouldn't have my current job if it wasn't for the Marines. No matter where you go, for the rest of your life, you will always manage to find Marines.

First job I got after was simply because I had been in the usmc. Do it, don't look back and learn everything you possibly can while you are in. As long as you have an RE-1 (iirc) then any employeer will like that you've served.

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
I wouldn't have my current job if it wasn't for the Marines. No matter where you go, for the rest of your life, you will always manage to find Marines.

First job I got after was simply because I had been in the usmc. Do it, don't look back and learn everything you possibly can while you are in. As long as you have an RE-1 (iirc) then any employeer will like that you've served.

This. All of this, right here.

4 years of Active Duty Marine Corps and a marketable MOS will make your life awesome when you get out.

HoustonGT

Established Member
Military life being "worth it" depends on the person. Some people don't fit the lifestyle. Especially the Marine lifestyle.

Some people want to work civilian 9-5 jobs. Others don't.

Some don't want to be disciplined. Others do.

It all depends on the person. The way I see it is, the military offers so many opportunities that isn't available to most citizens. Why not go do it?

This is very true. And if you serve your 4 years and get out, you still get to enjoy your civilian lifestyle.

I gained more from the Corps in a few years than i did in my 5 years of college. The opportunities and experience that you get in the military will go a long way in life.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
This is very true. And if you serve your 4 years and get out, you still get to enjoy your civilian lifestyle.

I gained more from the Corps in a few years than i did in my 5 years of college. The opportunities and experience that you get in the military will go a long way in life.

Are you an officer?

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
thanks Marines for your answers. I wrote this thread last night after a few drinks and a friend who told me to never do it. It got me thinking and wanted to get the skinny on what other people thought. I had another thread that was started last year about joining the military and the thought has been constantly in my mind for a few years now but I kept pushing it back since everyone around me won't support my decision. (and to finish 2 years of college at a local CC)

Im not at a point in my life where I have no direction. More school isn't an option just yet since I have no idea what Major to declare (i was liberal arts in CC) and I just won't focus on the classes if I went to get a higher degree just "to get one" for the sake of having one.

The reason I started this thread is that Two friends in the USMC and a few in the army hate it. Im guessing they don't like it since its not what they expected and they miss civilian life too much Im assuming. Ill add more to this in a little while.

jliddle

Established Member
Everyone won't support your decision?...

Who's life are you living? Who's future is it?

Not theirs. I dont have 100% support from everyone because I joined. But I know I'm doing a good thing and it what I wanted.

Again on your friends, different people have outlooks that will differ from your own. Maybe they would have been happier in their services if they had chose a different MOS? That can make or break your military career.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Nope.

I actually went to OCS (OCS Class 192) and ended up hurting my leg (stress fracture across my tibia) during the 5th week.

Always wanted to go back and do it again, but certain life events got in the way.

Is OCS very hard for your body? I'm currently applying for the combined PLC course and i was just seeing if you have any tips for me.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Everyone won't support your decision?...

Who's life are you living? Who's future is it?

Not theirs. I dont have 100% support from everyone because I joined. But I know I'm doing a good thing and it what I wanted.

Again on your friends, different people have outlooks that will differ from your own. Maybe they would have been happier in their services if they had chose a different MOS? That can make or break your military career.

very true. My two friends in the USMC think differently about life than I do and have different reasons why they joined. One is unhappy because he join infantry in order to see combat and he has not been deployed. and the other misses things he used to do in high school, basically hanging out with friends/family and doing the same old stuff.

As far as MOS is concerned I am pretty much open for just about anything. People say pick something that transfers to civilian side but Id probably end up going back to school if I went in. That is good advice though when picking a MOS but a part of me thinks about picking one that you can't do anywhere but the military. Any MOS where Im active and can use my hands to do things and Im not sitting behind a desk for 4-5 years. As soon as I get my Associates degree (next month) Ill try to get talking to a recruiter.

Other reason I am delaying the process is that Im waiting to hear back from the local police department to see if I get selected for the academy after taking the civil service exam and scored pretty high. If I get a LEO job thats the only thing that'd prevent me from doing the military thing.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Do it. If you have thought about for that long and you dont do it you will go on your entire life with a "What If?" and you dont want that. It will be the best decision of your life even though it probably might (and will) suck at the time. Im not nor would i ever be a Marine, but as a veteran i will say volunteering for the Armed Forces is a great thing in many many ways and a decision you will not regret so long as you keep your nose clean.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Do it. If you have thought about for that long and you dont do it you will go on your entire life with a "What If?" and you dont want that. It will be the best decision of your life even though it probably might (and will) suck at the time. Im not nor would i ever be a Marine, but as a veteran i will say volunteering for the Armed Forces is a great thing in many many ways and a decision you will not regret so long as you keep your nose clean.

Well said. Look at the people from Nam who never served and ask them now if they would...

You will have a sense of pride you have never known. The Armed forces is a different lifestyle and honestly you get out what you put in. If you try to learn and make it good you will, if you just walk around talking about how shitty stuff is, you will be labeled a shit bag and you can forget a good life.

Once again, do it and don't look back.

96SVTDvl

Hustlin'
Established Member
Is OCS very hard for your body? I'm currently applying for the combined PLC course and i was just seeing if you have any tips for me.

Yes, it's hard, but manageable. Some people just have bad luck and hurt shoulders or legs on long marches or the O-Course. I'm leaving for the Seniors portion of OCS in a little over two weeks from now. As long as you're in good shape, aren't afriad of getting screamed at for screwing up, and are mentally prepared for all the other BS you'll be fine. However, there were more than a few that thought they could make it before they got there and just didn't have the stones to suck it up and finish.

HoustonGT

Established Member
Yes, it's hard, but manageable. Some people just have bad luck and hurt shoulders or legs on long marches or the O-Course. I'm leaving for the Seniors portion of OCS in a little over two weeks from now. As long as you're in good shape, aren't afriad of getting screamed at for screwing up, and are mentally prepared for all the other BS you'll be fine. However, there were more than a few that thought they could make it before they got there and just didn't have the stones to suck it up and finish.

Exactly what he said. As long as you're in good shape (Don't even think about puttin on alot of muscle and getting built, just super lean) and can run and run and run some more, you'll be fine. I was physically pushed but handled it fairly well and knew it was all mental. Unfortunately for me, my leg didn't agree and I got screwed 1 week before graduation.

Make sure you can knock out about 17-20 full dead-hang pull-ups and run your 3 miles in a good 18-19 minutes and you should be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread