Marauder radio questions

T'Cal

Established Member
I read my owner's manual on my 2003/300A and learned that by depressing the on/off/volume button I could choose one of a half dozen or so preset tones. However, when I tried it I discovered that that process activated the speed sensing volume control. What gives? Do I have the preset tones at all? If so, how do I choose them?

Also, has anyone tried the iPod adapters that hook up the device to the CD changer port on the back of the stereo? I've seen a brand called Peripheral on eBay with claims of CD quality sound and use of the steering wheel mounted buttons to control the iPod. I'm tempted to get one since I don't use my CD changer that often what with all of my music now on my iPod. The FM adapters drive me crazy as they sound flat and the signal fluctuates as I drive around the Chicago metro area and cassette adapters produce a high pitched whine that is very irritating, even with the Dolby switch engaged.

Thanks!

CRUZTAKER

Effin Marauder ownr
Established Member
Respectfully I believe you misinterpreted the text.

Other than bass and treble, there are no further "tone" settings.

I am also interested in using the CD changer input for my Ipod.

Those kits are quite pricey. In the interim, I am going to just tap into the CD harness and tie in a micro plug and let hang in the arm rest.
I am not so concerned with using the steering wheel controls for the iPod, as I usually use the shuffle mode any

Last edited:

T'Cal

Established Member
No, the text is clear stating that there are, in fact, preset tone settings accessed by way of the volume control. When I follow the instructions, it instead gets me speed controlled volume settings.

As for the earlier subject of interfaces for the factory radio, I have since learned more and am still very interested in others' experiences.

I received a gift of a Peripheral iPod2Car interface, which included 4 wiring harnesses. The manual listed harness #3 for a 2000-2003 Grand Marquis. Upon removing my factory head unit (AM/FM/CD/Cassette with CD changer controls), I learned that none of the hook-ups fit. I called Peripheral's support number and the tech said that the 4 harnesses I got with the kit were all they offered. His only recommendation was to remove the factory radio and install an aftermarket unit. I stopped at two local auto stereo shops and both showed me other brands including one by Pac but none offered anything for my radio.

I learned on this website that 2003 Marauders are technically Grand Marquis with a Marauder option and that for 2004 the Marauder is a model. This makes sense since my car title reads "Mercury Grand Marquis." Although I believed my car stereo to be a typical Ford radio used in numerous models, that appears not to be the case. I'm tempted to seek out a different Ford AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo on eBay so that I retain the factory look and cassette feature. Since all of my music is now on my iPod, I don't mind disconnecting and, therefore losing the use of trunk-mounted 6 CD player.

I'm open to any advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread