Marauder fuel system issue

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
My Dad's Marauder keeps acting like it has water in the tank or something... It will just start bogging down and missing and eventualy die.. then you turn it off, wait 40 seconds, start it back up and it will run strong as ever for 40 miles or so.. then back to the old shit... but the way it dies and bogs feels just like water... any ideas or issues anyone can think of??

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
you sure its not an ignition issue or anything?

Has it been sitting a long time?
Well, the code it keeps throwing is lean on bank 1 and 2.. which had me thinkin it was gas related and not spark, and it never really sits up, he is a traveling salesman so he is always driving it, it is intermittin like an electrical problem though

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Hard to diagnose via the internet...but, sounds more like a coil-on-plug issue rather than a fuel issue. Check/replace with Ford coil packs available at your local Ford Dealer. I also found this Coil On Plug Tune-Up Kit - Ford Lincoln Mercury - Mustang Navigator +more - Witty Deals ...don't know if it'll work or be snake-oil....but, thought I'd pass it on...

403223-b.jpg

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Would it throw a specific code for a coil problem like that? I figured it would be throwing cylinder miss codes... A coil problem has crossed my mind but didn't know if an issue like that would cause the car to completely die every now and then though

cobra1923

Established Member
I would think fuel pump heat up maybe? Shut it off, cools down and works fine. Start it up and heats back up.

does it do it with a full tank too?

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Actually it is 02 sensor codes it throws, it says left and right bank lean... and it will do it with gas in it, did it at 3/4 tank the other day, cause I was thinkin the same thing... but really the more I think about what TAF said it made me think, it didn't start doin this till after I changed the plugs in it

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Well, I think I found the culprit!! Put a set of gauges on it today and it was holding around 30psi on fuel.. So I went WOT on it and the pressure went down to 10 psi and stayed till I let off, then it spiked to 60 psi, and came back to 30 psi... I'm thinkin its a fuel pump, unless you guys think it could be the FPDM... but any ideas on a good replacement pump since I do plan on modding this car for him eventually..

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
Well, I think I found the culprit!! Put a set of gauges on it today and it was holding around 30psi on fuel.. So I went WOT on it and the pressure went down to 10 psi and stayed till I let off, then it spiked to 60 psi, and came back to 30 psi... I'm thinkin its a fuel pump, unless you guys think it could be the FPDM... but any ideas on a good replacement pump since I do plan on modding this car for him eventually..

I've got a Ford GT pump with a BAP. Even under full boost, I get plenty of fuel. The BAP is set at zero right now, but there's more there if I ever need it.

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
GT pump and upgraded wiring is what I'm going to do to it, ordered it from a place called Rienhart I believe... don't have the money for the bower kit yet but when he does I think I like that Trilogy kit, that eaton just sounds awesome coming from that Merc, man I love driving his car, I have more fun in it than I do my fully built Cobra sometimes, lol

rich_long

O's Fan Rich
Established Member
GT pump and upgraded wiring is what I'm going to do to it, ordered it from a place called Rienhart I believe... don't have the money for the bower kit yet but when he does I think I like that Trilogy kit, that eaton just sounds awesome coming from that Merc, man I love driving his car, I have more fun in it than I do my fully built Cobra sometimes, lol

I'm swapping mine to a GT pump this week. Tanks out and ready.
Put a larger fuel filter in while you're at it....

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

Oh God, You BETTER HOPE that pump shows up!!!!

And if it shows up, NEVER EVER order from reinhart again!!!! :nonono:

Glenn Ford

Atlanta Trilogy #1
Established Member
GT Pump is overkill!!

A GT pump is over kill for your application even with a SC. A SVT Focus fuel pump will work just fine up to 475 HP after that go to a GT pump. The Focus is a direct plug-in and can be done with the tank in the MM. You just need a very long ice pick to release the connector plug from the PS wheel well. Ask Lidio - he recommends the Focus up to 475 HP. Also, the Focus pump is a great deal cheaper than the GT pump.

Glenn Ford :burnout:

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Got it done, car is runnin good again, it wasn't too bad of a job, easier that building the entire fuel system for my Cobra lol.. you can never have too much fuel system imo so I'm happy with it, btw, offroad, yeah man, I had to stay on that dudes ass to get my pump in, whats the deal with that place?? Then the "upgraded harness" was 2 bullshit wires I could have made myself...

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
BTW, Dad wanted me to ask, does anyone ever see used Trilogy kits anywhere? I showed him some you tubes of it and he wants that eaton bad now, lol

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Got it done, car is runnin good again, it wasn't too bad of a job, easier that building the entire fuel system for my Cobra lol.. you can never have too much fuel system imo so I'm happy with it, btw, offroad, yeah man, I had to stay on that dudes ass to get my pump in, whats the deal with that place?? Then the "upgraded harness" was 2 bullshit wires I could have made myself...

reinhart automotive isnt a very reputable place to buy from, he pulled his vendor status from mercurymarauder.net after unhappy customers had the balls to speak up at once and talk about how crappy his service and parts are.

Your lucky your fuel pump didnt show up in 7 boxes over the course of a year. :lol1:

with 3 grand you could fit an eaton off a terminator on your dads car, just have to piece the whole kit together, and get handy with the hammer :-D

Users who are viewing this thread