Mar-Hyde One-Step

jmichalicek

Established Member
Anyone familiar with this Mar-Hyde One-Step rust converter stuff? It's from 3M, so I'm fairly confident it actually works and is not a scam. I've got just a tiny bit of rust (I suspect the inspection jackasses who did the headlight cleaning for me to pass inspection nicked it when messing with that). I'm curious as to if this stuff is ok for it to get on paint, plastic, etc. though. I can't find any clear info about that. It is a water based product, so I am guessing it's ok, but would love to get some confirmation on that before I go about sloppily spraying it on from a spray can with the intention of just wiping everything down later.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
hmmm never heard of it. I did use some rust to primer spray paint on my truck and it worked perfectly.

The directions just said no cleaning was required but I cleaned up as much as possible. That was last winter and that spot is holding up fine.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I never heard of the stuff but searched 3M Global Gateway Page to find out more info. It's a Bondo product. 3M now owns Bondo. Here's a description:

Mar-Hyde® One Step Rust Converter Primer Sealer chemically reacts to convert rust into a hard, black primer sealer. Apply One-Step® on rusted surfaces and rust is permanently converted and ready for primer and topcoat.

One-Step Rust Converter Primer Sealer is water -based latex containing rust modifiers, which is designed for application directly over tightly bonded rust on iron or steel. It's also proven effective on new degreased or mild steel where flash-rusting has occurred. Shortly after application, the rusted surface will change from white to purple to a stable black coating.

jmichalicek

Established Member
Excellent, thanks guys. I guess I'll pick some up and give it a go. I'm sure it works well since it's Bondo/3M, no concerns there. I was mostly just worried about the possibility of getting it on the paint/clearcoat messing that up. I can't find anything that says it will, but I also can't find anything that says it won't (except for VIrtualSVT now with a similar product, so it's probably safe). I've done enough things in the past that weren't specifically listed as "bad" and had it turn out they were not so good to be comfortable with "well it didn't say not to do that" with something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread