Manual Tranny Suggestions Please

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Hey guys.

Im in the purchasing stages of my build and i want some suggestions on what direction to go with transmission( i REALLY want to stay manual at this time)

My car is a 00GT that is getting a build 01 cobra engine(already torn down). I will be running a single turbo, nothing crazy to start.

But as far as tranny goes im not sure which direction to take.

The car is strictly for street use, no track

TKO 600
OR
T56 Magnum

Suggestions would be welcome please. Car currently has 3.73's but might get changed when i beef up the rear

Thanks Jay

Last edited:

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
I've heard good things about T56 magnum.

Likewise. Futre goal is to see well into 700's but i want to work my way into the power.

I drive the car 3-6k miles a YEAR so i dont want to put in a tranny that is capable of holding sub 500 then upgrading doesnt seem practical

i know there are more opinions out there.

Personally im leaning towards the TKO, but i have read that the Magnum will keep the turbo in spool better with the tighter ratio's

itSSlow98

Established Member
Magnum is rated at 700 flywheel torque. For the money it's on borrowed time from the start. Whatever you do you need to put a fluid sprayer on the input/cluster to keep fluid in the front of the case. Otherwise it'll eventually overheat and burn up those gears. I'm going through replacing the input and cluster gear right now and it will happen again.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Thanks for the input.

Agree with the rating but imo they can both handle more then they are rated, however at they track with a drop and hook then yes anything of what they are rated for is risky.

on the street they should handle well over that amount as it will be next to impossible to ever hook up

this is strictly a street car. It will probably never see the track as the nearest one is 3hrs away

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Or you could just buy my built t-56 I am going auto made over 1,000rwhp with it. It will hold what ever you can throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread