manual brakes on a 2003 cobra ?

SilverSlayerTT

Established Member
I'm thinking about going manual brakes I was wonder if anyone has converted one. I know what booster kit I'm going with but my question is what have you guys done with the rotors and calipers? If you changed them what did you use. I mainly drag race it doesn't see any street use.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Drag race brakes only have to stop the car once but you will still need the rotor mass to absorb the kinetic energy to haul the car down to a stop. The stock 13" rotors are design to stop the car going 155 mph right where the rev limiter is set so you can use that as reference.

Yes you can convert to manual brakes. Go to Maximum Motorsports for the manual master cylinder adapter and the high leverage pedal. I would help if you can weld in some stiffening plate to beef-up the firewall around the master cylinder to minimize flexing with the higher pedal forces but this is not mandatory.

I think a set of 13" front and 11.65" rear stock replacement slotted 2 pc. Wilwood rotors work well. The PBR caliper should work well or you can get fixed calipers if you don't mind spending the dough but the value doing that is questionable. That will save a lot of rotating mass which will help your ET's (every pound of rotating mass is roughly equivalent to 4 pounds of static mass).

If the car is used exclusively for drag racing and your converting to manual brakes I would ditch the PS and save 35 lbs off the nose of the car with that and the manual brakes and frees-up some HP.

SilverSlayerTT

Established Member
Drag race brakes only have to stop the car once but you will still need the rotor mass to absorb the kinetic energy to haul the car down to a stop. The stock 13" rotors are design to stop the car going 155 mph right where the rev limiter is set so you can use that as reference.

Yes you can convert to manual brakes. Go to Maximum Motorsports for the manual master cylinder adapter and the high leverage pedal. I would help if you can weld in some stiffening plate to beef-up the firewall around the master cylinder to minimize flexing with the higher pedal forces but this is not mandatory.

I think a set of 13" front and 11.65" rear stock replacement slotted 2 pc. Wilwood rotors work well. The PBR caliper should work well or you can get fixed calipers if you don't mind spending the dough but the value doing that is questionable. That will save a lot of rotating mass which will help your ET's (every pound of rotating mass is roughly equivalent to 4 pounds of static mass).

Thanks.. and yes I'm doin

If the car is used exclusively for drag racing and your converting to manual brakes I would ditch the PS and save 35 lbs off the nose of the car with that and the manual brakes and frees-up some HP.

Thanks man ....and yes its drag only maybe a little street racing and I'm getting rid of everything the rear belt turns as I already have an Electric water pump. I've been a 6.41 @110 on stock blower and spray so now I'm looking to lighten her up....next step auto.

Users who are viewing this thread